Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if you want to call it that. We had a MTB race on Elmendorf today for our yearly fundatory olympics. It was a five mile loop that whooped my a$$. Took me fourty four minutes to complete it. Not bad for being out of shape...well by my standards. I had fun and I guess that's what counts. I'm now completely and officially hooked. Now the hard part is making time to ride with a newborn and 4 year old at home. Enough ranting. I'm out.

Mike

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
AkMike - I didn't know you were there. I was there on the silver Yeti and yellow jersey. I ended up taking 1st in the MTB. I did 28.30 the first race and around 29 on the second.

What were you riding? Did you race the 0800 or 1000 race? I did both because I didn't want to go back to work!

Valhalla - about 50 people signed up but there were 2 different events, a MTB only and a MTB/5K. There was also a road race going on but I don't know if anyone combined road and mtb. There were probably 20-30 roadies. The trails were a double track up and around the backside of the ski area and back down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Valhalla, it was on base. It was on the back side of base at the Hillberg ski area. Dave I thought that was you in the yellow jersey. I recognized the bike first from a couple pics on here when I showed up this morning. I ran the 0800 race. I was on the red Novara hardtail...at the back of the pack. I don't think I took dead last but I do know that a guy on a $30 dollar Huffy with a kids seat attached beat me. Hahaha...how shameful. I thought about coming up and seeing if you were you but I'm usually the quiet one of any group. I guess I need to get over that. Maybe next time. Well time to clean house. Happy riding.

Dave, they were going to make you go back to work?? I thought everyone got the day off if you participated??

Mike

·
Wonder Boy
35 Posts
I "raced" that two years ago.....

AkMike said:
I don't think I took dead last but I do know that a guy on a $30 dollar Huffy with a kids seat attached beat me. Hahaha...how shameful.
Mike
In 2004 after riding three days a week on my civilian PT time, I entered the race so my squadron would get at least one point for participation. I'm not sure of the route this year, but back then we went up the north side of Hillberg, down the fire road to cut off north to doubletrack, then circled around to return just about where the stables are now.

After spotting the whippet-thin youngsters a head start, I grunted up the hill, then led the back of the packers on the fire road to the turnoff. One guy flew past me but missed the turn. I yelled at him to go left but I think he was in the red-tinged zone of oxygen debt. I did pretty good on the double track until a very steep section that led to a mud/water runout. Having ridden there before and having an understanding of the recouperating powers of the middle aged, I started walking down.

The guy that missed the turn earlier caught up to me at the crest of the hill and bombed past. About 2/3's the way down, he realized how steep the section was and how fast he was going. A simple touch of the back brakes sent his rear wheel skidding and he fishtailed into a spectacular OTB over the berm into the alders. His bars ended twisted around, rear wheel taco'd, and one calf completely shredded by a pedal. Even though I was in contention for a podium spot, I stopped to make sure he was alright. I followed him the rest of the way out, but pushed my front wheel across the finish line in front of him to make sure I wasn't dead last.

I didn't get enough prep time in 2005 to ride and missed this year because of a short notice trip to PA.

Dave----thanks for saving that hangar from burning down!

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.