Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting into Mountain Biking and having a great time. I am considering entering a race coming up on April 5th and curious what you carry and where for trail repairs? I am running tubeless on a 29er and wondering what I should bring with me during the race? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also with this being my first race should I enter the Beginner class or Clydesdale class? I am 42 and 250lbs? Beginner is 1 lap of just over 6 miles and 700ft climbing. Clydes do 2 laps..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bit of water and some gels if longer than 1hr. Anything else just slows you down. If you puncture, suffer a mechanical etc... you've already lost.

Walk back to the start and suffer the rightful humiliation.

Occasionally I have been known to carry a spare tube and CO2 canister, but only when said walk is longer than 20km.

Never understood people who carry have a 3L camelbak, 6 tubes, mini tool, chain breakers, spare links blah blah blah for a 20km race.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Always carry a tube and CO2 kit.

While yes if you puncture you will probably fall out of first place. But so long as you change it and finish you will get more points towards any series results than DNFing.

If your good at changing that tube you can get it done in 3 minutes and may only lose a few places.

Real life example, last fall I was in second place, had a flat, changed it and finished 7th instead of 15th. And that was with throwing a huge fit about the flat and wasting all sorts of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
DFL>DNF>DNS

Carry the goods to fix a flat (tube, CO2, lever if you need one). Carry a small multi-tool - if you ride hard, stuff is always coming unglued. Nothing feels good about walking out, no matter how short or long it might be. Forget about finishing for the stupid series points, which nobody cares about. Just finish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up only taking a water bottle. The course was only 6.2 miles per lap so I figured I would just walk out if I had a mechanical problem or flat. I ended up taking 8th in the beginners class. Had a blast and now I'm hooked. Now if I could just lose 60lbs and get myself below 200 I might be up with the front group of beginners. lol...

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
Great job. Keep riding and racing. Oh, keep it fun.

Everything else will fall into place.

Post your next race.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts