Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be competing in my first XC race this Sunday, and I have a few questions.

1. What kind of gear/tools should I ride with? Tube, pump, chain... etc?

2. Does anyone race with a camelbak or how should I contain my water?

3. Anything else a first timer should know?

·
Registered
874 Posts
When somebody behind you says "Left!" move to the Right and visa versa to let them pass.
I'm not gonna carry any tools or tubes from now on. I went tubeless and I'll have to risk flats from now on(haven't had one yet).
I like the idea of a CamelBack for ease of drinking because I'm usually breathing so hard I struggle to stay hydrated but the weight penalty?
Ride hard have fun and repeat often.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sebastian21 said:
Hi,

How long is the Race? Miles?

what Category are you Racing?
Not sure about the miles, but the race website indicates that the beginner class finishes in 2-2.5 hours. I'll be riding in the beginner class. I've been riding for 6-7 years, but I have no idea what to expect during a race.

·
Registered
61 Posts
first race.

don't make any drastic changes from the setup that you do regular rides with. if you ride with a camelback, race with it. i don't know anyone that carries a spare chain, but certainly a mini chain tool and some extra pins would be prudent. spare tube, pump or co2. the usual stuff.

pace yourself. really important. and it's tough for beginning racers since they may have limited experience with how the body feels on extended efforts. you don't want to poop out an hour in and be miserable the second half of the race. chances are that you'll spend the majority of the time riding alone, so try and find a pace you can sustain and don't worry about what others are doing.

eat and drink regularly, and remember to have fun.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Cheers! said:
drink a bottle of water before the start.
-1 power gel crap every 30 mins
-for 2 hour race you may want to fill both water bottles or top off the camelbak.

-pasta dinner night before
-start drinking lots of water atleast 3 hours before the race
Pre race Hydration and carb loading starts 2-3 days before the race. The night before actually has little effect within reason. Drink water steadily throughout the day for a couple days prior to your race. Be reasonable, dont drink gallons. What you put in your body the days before your race is what will be fueling you for the race, so eat smart. Dont drastically change your habits though. Just eat healthy with lots of carbs. Stay away from crappy greasy food...you know the drill.

I'm planning on doing my first MTB race this Sunday as well. We're in teh same boat. I already started my carb loading and hydtration drill. I'm doing the same things I did when I was a competetive distance runner, and racing a lot.

As far as what to carry, Im carrying the essentials to finish and have fun doing it. I'm carrying a tube, patch kit, tire levers, multi tool w/chain tool, C02 pump(and maybe frame pump as backup), camelback at least half full of water, and some gels. The first one is a learning experience. Have fun with it.

·
What It Be ?
890 Posts
Wish I had a race this weekend :madman: . Its very addictive be careful. I've done both the bottle and the camelbak thing. It depends on the course as far as roots/rocks go. Load up on carbs the days before as well as water/gatoraide. Go relive yourself before the race you don't wanting to have to do busisness on the starting line. Get out front early if you want to place well.

I did my first race after riding for about 5 years so you should do well. I've poduimed each race so far down here. And good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's Sunday night after the race today. The whole day was a blast and I did pretty well. I ended up finishing 3 out of 9 in Beginner 19-29 group. I had fun, so that's all that really counts to me.

It was definately an eye opener for me. I thought that my endurance was pretty good until today. The level of fitness of the pro, expert and even sport riders is really impressive. Definately something I need to work on.

Few questions. I pre-rode the course on Saturday (3 p.m. - ish) and probably pushed a little too much. In the first few miles of the race (10 a.m.) I could definately tell that my legs were pretty fatigued. My legs felt like mush for most of the race, so I'm a little dissapointed that I couldnt push as much as I would have liked to have.

So, when should I stop training/riding before a race? It hadn't occured to me until today, but I think I may need 48 hours for my legs to fully recover.

I saw a lot of people eating little gel packs before and during the race. What is it?

Does anyone find that sport-legs (?) or other similar capsules help during a race?

Overall it was a learning lesson, and a very positive experience. I'll certainly be back out there again.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
skiing9689 said:
So, when should I stop training/riding before a race?

For a Sunday race, you're last hard ride should be Wednesday. I still like to ride each day up to the race, but just short and easy. A short ride the day before with a few sprints keeps the legs lively for the race. We did the same thing in high school track. I'll preride a course the day before the race (or even as a warm up for the race), but at the easiest pace possible.

I saw a lot of people eating little gel packs before and during the race. What is it?
Lots of company's make these gel packs (clif shots (http://www.clifbar.com/) for example). They are a source of energy you take to get you through the race; for that final lap. Gel form absorbs into the body quicker, and minimizes body energy use for digestion when compared to solid food.

Does anyone find that sport-legs (?) or other similar capsules help during a race?
Haven't tried sportlegs yet. I'm curious as well. Cytomax is another performance aid that claims to "beat the burn", i.e., lactic acid buildup.

Congrats on the race.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.