Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message especially to Shiggy, JMH, JH on the Cape and Super E.

I am happy to report that I did in fact survive and finish my first race... ever.

Thoughts on the race- it was AWESOME. I loved it; it was such a cool environment. The only thing that bummed me out was that my wife and daughter were not there and I was surprised to see so many families cheering there family members on.

Results of the race were not too bad- meaning I didn't finish dead last. I got passed awhole bunch at the first flat section, but the first climb right out of the start was great- I cranked it out passed several racers and heard several spectators cheering for the guy on the single.

The coolest moment came at a hard grind about 3/4 of the way through the course. I came around a curve to see this pretty daunting hill- most riders were walking with a few cranking through. I was building up as much momentum as I could about 1/2 way through the climb when this kid (maybe 10-12 yr.s old) jerked in front of me trying to maintain balance and traction. He shot me a worried look half expecting me to starting yelling at him. I was to say the least, extremely impressed. Here were all of these riders walking the hill, me about 3 seconds from quitting the hill as well and here is this kid fighting for the top. "Let's roll this thing little man!" I called and together we cranked it to the top. Very, very cool.

Needless to say, the bug has bit me hard. There are two races in the area this weekend and now I'm deciding which race to go to! :D

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Little Bros

Rockstar!

That shows some character to not give someone an earful in the heat of battle. Lots of guys out there use the race as an excuse to act out their insecurity and infantile rage instead of seeking the sweet spot. But not you! =)

J

Molasses said:
Message especially to Shiggy, JMH, JH on the Cape and Super E.

I am happy to report that I did in fact survive and finish my first race... ever.

Thoughts on the race- it was AWESOME. I loved it; it was such a cool environment. The only thing that bummed me out was that my wife and daughter were not there and I was surprised to see so many families cheering there family members on.

Results of the race were not too bad- meaning I didn't finish dead last. I got passed awhole bunch at the first flat section, but the first climb right out of the start was great- I cranked it out passed several racers and heard several spectators cheering for the guy on the single.

The coolest moment came at a hard grind about 3/4 of the way through the course. I came around a curve to see this pretty daunting hill- most riders were walking with a few cranking through. I was building up as much momentum as I could about 1/2 way through the climb when this kid (maybe 10-12 yr.s old) jerked in front of me trying to maintain balance and traction. He shot me a worried look half expecting me to starting yelling at him. I was to say the least, extremely impressed. Here were all of these riders walking the hill, me about 3 seconds from quitting the hill as well and here is this kid fighting for the top. "Let's roll this thing little man!" I called and together we cranked it to the top. Very, very cool.

Needless to say, the bug has bit me hard. There are two races in the area this weekend and now I'm deciding which race to go to! :D

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
well done.
i personally don't race anymore because I don't like to drive to a ride, pay some money, wait around, wait around some more. then go ride a course a bunch of laps.

i prefer to just ride close to home. not drive and save my money for other stuff.

i still do a few races a year: the fun ones with long single lap courses. i also like 24 hour racing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.