Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm riding medium hard, 3-4 days a week, 16-24 miles each. I need to step it up for a race series where points will be important from the first race.

Any bright ideas?I know nothing about training, or hrm, or programs or any of that.

How intense should I get, and how many days before the 12 mile (first one) should I slack off? If these are newbie questions, please steer me to a source to teach myself, especially using an hrm. Everybody seems to have one but me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have seen training plan for short period in one of mtb magazines lately. I will send you details if I find it. I remember that important is also swimming, running and one day of complete rest.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen training plan for short period in one of mtb magazines lately. I will send you details if I find it. I remember that important is also swimming, running and one day of complete rest.
I would appreciate that. I buy many magazines, but havent seen an article yet.

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
There are a ton of experts on this >>> I'm not, but... I believe that it has been proven that even if done for two weeks, high intensity intervals can improve fitness... and by high intensity I would be thinking +95% of threshold... 2x a week with the weekend used for steady state for 2+ hrs. I am sure my comments will be developed to a greater extent by those who are more knowledgable. I am sticking to my suggestion tho. BTW >>> 95% of threshold is very intense. If your training has been "tears for fears"... it's time to get AC/DC... and I'm talking Whole Lotta Rosie! Bon Scott... oh, I mean Bon Chance (Good Luck)

Look Up Book: Time Crunched Cyclist, buy, read then apply! :thumbsup:

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
You will need to be doing short workouts (abt 90 min) with abt 30 min of it being high intensity intervals. Do this T/TH/Sat and then easy 2 hour ride on Sundays. Time to suffer my friend ") That is the only way to see noticeable gains in just 3 weeks.

Fyi...many racers spend the entire winter preparing for their first race in spring. This is VERY common for racers in the Cat2 and Cat1 and Pro levels.

Good luck out there..

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
A good place to start would be by reading a few books about training. It's worth looking through more than one to get a more rounded view as different authors have their own ideas and methods. Some Amazon.com links:

Performance Cycling by Dave Morris

Performance Cycling : Training for Power, Endurance, and Speed: David Morris: 9780071410915: Amazon.com: Books

The Time Crunched Cyclist by Chris Carmichael and Jim Rutberg

The Time-Crunched Cyclist, 2nd Ed.: Fit, Fast, Powerful in 6 Hours a Week (The Time-Crunched Athlete): Chris Carmichael, Jim Rutberg: 9781934030837: Amazon.com: Books

The Cyclists Training Bible by Joe Friel

The Cyclist's Training Bible: Joe Friel: 9781934030202: Amazon.com: Books

The main thing to bear in mind is that you don't get fitter during the training itself. It's the adaptations that your body makes after training, whilst you're resting, which see you improving and getting faster. This diagram is a good explanation.:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Forgive me Squareback but I have lack of time and I used Google Translator :). Hope you will understand all text:
Week one .
Wednesday: high-speed endurance training .
Warm up , then the intervals in the flat : five repetitions of 30 seconds of maximum intensity ( you drive , how fast you can ) interspersed with 15 -second ride zintensywnością moderate ( spin in neutral ) . In total, the exercise lasts 3 minutes and 45 seconds should do two such series (if you feel good , and every time you beat the same distance , you can try to get a third series ) , and between them ride moderately , that is your maximum heart rate minus 60 beats , for 20 minutes. Remember the junction at the end of training ( maximum heart rate minus 60).
Thursday: endurance training . Riding in the aerobic zone ( maximum heart rate minus 40 ) for two hours.
Friday: endurance- strength training by repetitive , or five ramps in three minutes in elevation ( 8-10 percent). Submaximal intensity ( 're going very strongly, but with a minimum reserve) in the ratio allowing cranks spin around 50 times per minute. After each driveway waiting until your heart rate drops below 100 beats , and preferably to that which you have without effort. Of course, at the beginning of the warm-up and crossover, but you already know .
Saturday: endurance training , like on Thursday.
Sunday: endurance- strength training carried out by a variable in the hilly and mountainous best . A total of 2.5 hours . on heart rate max -40 thighs. , but the most important in these classes is to overcome driveways on heart rate in the range : the maximum minus 40 - the maximum minus 20 For 30 -year-old will be between 150 and 170
Monday: Training compensation . 1.5 hours . driving on heart rate : maximum minus 60
Tuesday: day off.

Second week .
Wednesday: high-speed endurance training . Intervals in the flat : five repetitions after a minute with a maximum intensity interspersed with 30 -second ride of moderate intensity . Perform two such series ( if you feel well, you can try for a third series ) , and between them ride moderately .
Thursday: endurance training . Riding in the aerobic zone of max -40 for 2.5 hours .
Friday: endurance- strength training by repetitive , or five ramps in four minutes in elevation ( 8-10 percent). Submaximal intensity ( 're going very strongly, but with a minimum reserve) in the ratio allowing cranks spin around 50 times per minute. After each driveway waiting until your heart rate drops below 100 beats , and preferably to that which you have without effort. Of course, at the beginning of the warm-up and crossover, but you already know .
Saturday: endurance training , like on Thursday.
Sunday: endurance- strength training carried out by a variable in the hilly and mountainous best . A total of 3 hours . the heart rate up to -40 , the driveways but with heart rate within the range : maximum minus 40 - Maximum minus 20
Monday: Training compensation . 1.5 hours . driving on heart rate : maximum minus 60
Tuesday: day off.

4 Third week , regenerative , the last before the start.

week three
Wednesday: endurance training, about 1.5 hours., For maximum heart rate minus 40 strokes.
Thursday: endurance training. Riding in the aerobic zone (maximum heart rate minus 40) for two hours.
Friday: introductory training for a competition, preferably from Sunday's race. Half an hour with moderate intensity, with the intensity of 20 minutes as in a racing start), and finally a half hours of moderate intensity.
Saturday: Training compensation 1.5 hours. on maximum heart rate minus 60
Sunday: Race, which will stand on the podium, if conscientiously have realized this program.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will need to be doing short workouts (abt 90 min) with abt 30 min of it being high intensity intervals. Do this T/TH/Sat and then easy 2 hour ride on Sundays. Time to suffer my friend ") That is the only way to see noticeable gains in just 3 weeks.
A good place to start would be by reading a few books about training. It's worth looking through more than one to get a more rounded view as different authors have their own ideas and methods.

Forgive me Squareback but I have lack of time and I used Google Translator :). Hope you will understand all text:
ace, which will stand on the podium, if conscientiously have realized this program.
Thank you all very much. I have printed out your advice on paper, and am teaching it to myself. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
prairie shitty?!

What class/group you racing and where are you riding during the week? Ever partaken in any PC races?

·
Registered
182 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts