Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
dcubed
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes, 1 week away... Granite Bay.

I will be racing the first timers class, 6 mile loop.

Any tips or tricks so at least I do not getting last place look bad?

Oh, and if/when I do get last place, sporting the MTBR kit, will Francois take it away from me? Or is there some ceremony where you all come up and spray paint red X's on me wearing it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey.. can you send a link for this race?

desmo13 said:
Yikes, 1 week away... Granite Bay.

I will be racing the first timers class, 6 mile loop.

Any tips or tricks so at least I do not getting last place look bad?

Oh, and if/when I do get last place, sporting the MTBR kit, will Francois take it away from me? Or is there some ceremony where you all come up and spray paint red X's on me wearing it?
You got a link to this race site? Didn't know about it for some reason. Had my sites set on the Feb 11th CCCX race as my first of the year, but hell... always room for one more

·
Registered
8 Posts
six miles... no problem

which race is it?
what class?

tips:
don't max out at the start of race
eat early morning,(carbs) way before race start
drink water before race
steady breathing tecnique is key during climbing and overall riding
short warm up ride before race, (include x2 small sprints)
take a shower the night before race
carry x3 energy gels

that's all for now
good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
...don't worry this course is not that tough. I think I counted 2 small hills. Little if no technical. A great ride for a newbie. Relax, ride your own ride and have fun. Also for six miles water is all you will need. By the time you get your gel pack out of your jersey and open it....you'll be crossing the finish line. Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
im racing

i will be in the sport 30 to 35. I am just getting over the flu congestion thing going around, can you say snot. i rode a little yesterday and it was a full clean out type experience, Hopefully it will go away and i can finish mid pack.

·
dcubed
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
darth tracer said:
i will be in the sport 30 to 35. I am just getting over the flu congestion thing going around, can you say snot. i rode a little yesterday and it was a full clean out type experience, Hopefully it will go away and i can finish mid pack.
I know how you fell. Stomach flu/virus, have not ridden since sunday..

Should I even carry repair stuff for the 6 mile? And what is the prefered method.. camel back, seat bag or jersey pocket?

·
Head First
134 Posts
I ride that course all the time, it's pretty mild, there's a decent hill to climb on the first half of the race. After you cross the parking lot there is a short steep hill and then a little more down the trail there's two really short steep mounds in succession. It does get a little more technical after the parking lot, especially at race pace. Good luck!

G

·
I'll be there...
I will be racing the Novice class (2 laps), as this is only my 2nd XC race. Haven't been on the mtb much lately so it should be interesting. I've never been to Granite Bay before so thanks for all the trail info. I assume there are no hike a bike sections. I always feel like such a weakling when I have to dismount and push.

I plan to carry a tube, tire irons, Co2, multitool, etc. in my saddle bag. No different than I always do. Pushing a bike with a flat several miles sucks. I will also carry a water bottle in the bottle cage on my bike. I don't use a camelback unless I need more than 1 bottle of water, which would probably be a much longer race or a really hot day. It's really just a personal preference.

Have fun !

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
1st race ever?.....

desmo13 said:
I am starting to think I should change my reg and do the 12 mile. My normal friday mtn bike ride is over 12 miles, usually with over 1000' elevation gain. and I do 100+ miles a week on my roadie.
....or this paticular one? Sounds like you get in some mixed riding for fitness.:thumbsup:
If it's Race #1 for you, why not do the 1 lapper this w/end to see how you do. Depending how you finish/feel, you can jump up to Junior/Sport next time on the 24th. Better then having a hard time with the 2 laps and getting discouraged, then having to down grade to Beginer and get razzed for being a sandbagger. :rolleyes:

Seriously, doing the 6 miles @ race pace will be way more taxing on you then your 12 mile Friday rec ride, x2 if you go the 12 miles IMHO. As rocdog mentioned, for 1 lap all you'll need is water, if you go for the 2 lap, a gel pack pre-start and at lap 2 would help. But if you have not used gels before skip the first and only use on lap 2 in case your stomach doesn't agree with it! :eekster:

I haven't got an official release from my Doc or I'd be up there with ya! Good luck which ever way you go.

G

·
I didn't want to pay the fees and spend the time driving there and back for only 6 miles, which I fear could only be a 35 minute ride. Can't help it, I'm cheap. Most of the other races I plan to do this year range from 10 to 15 miles for the Beginner Class, so the 12 miler makes more sense for me.

I would guess the First Timer 6 mile class is probably for a lot of casual recreational riders with not much fitness or not much experience at speed on the mtb. You could always stay in that class, and if you finish well you could do the Novice 12 miler in the next race. If you do choose to do the Novice class, it sounds to me like you should have the fitness for the 12 miler, no problem.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Hey stumpy?.....

StumpyFSR said:
I didn't want to pay the fees and spend the time driving there and back for only 6 miles, which I fear could only be a 35 minute ride. Can't help it, I'm cheap. Most of the other races I plan to do this year range from 10 to 15 miles for the Beginner Class, so the 12 miler makes more sense for me.

I would guess the First Timer 6 mile class is probably for a lot of casual recreational riders with not much fitness or not much experience at speed on the mtb. You could always stay in that class, and if you finish well you could do the Novice 12 miler in the next race. If you do choose to do the Novice class, it sounds to me like you should have the fitness for the 12 miler, no problem.
....hard to tell which of us posted this fine info first?? Heh...:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.