Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im very new to this basically I am a hiker converted to wanting to do this since nobody will hike with me. I have zero gear and am looking into buying a Hardtail for trails and such my LBS is having a sale on 2010 bikes and I have found these

10 Specialized Hardrock Disc for $359.99

and 10 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29 $469.99

What would you guys recommend? Or should I stay away from this bike and look elsewhere. I havent decided to go with a 29er or not I really dont know what the difference is. Also I cannot tell if these bikes have a lockout or not from the sites Ive been looking at.

Anyways would either of these be good bikes to start with whats the better bang for the buck?

Also what else should I buy I do plan of riding tomorrow at Chino Hills State Park if I get the bike. I mean tools? spare stuff? Helmet obvously right? As a beginer whos looking to push it what would you recommend.

Thanks a million you guys rock!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Test ride the bikes, Buy either bike then go ride it.....a lot

After a while you will begin to understand everything...

Then you can get a better bike if you want.

Spare tube, pump, bike multi tool, gloves and glasses.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
First off, it doesn't matter how much they're selling them for if they don't fit you. Assuming they have your size available, then it comes down to which you like riding best. Have you test rode those two bikes? The only real difference between the two is the wheel size. I can't tell you which wheel size you would prefer, it's personal preference. I personally like 26" wheels because I do most of my riding in technical areas, but there are lots of areas where a 29er would be a great choice.

I might suggest asking the LBS for help. Ask them what kind of bike the people riding the same places as you typically ride. And TEST RIDE.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A 29r is fun to ride, the big wheels will roll over obstacles (ruts, pothole, rocks) a lot easier than a 26r. A 26r is more nimble, easier to flick around, easier to bunny hop. Ride both of them, then buy the one that feels better.

You also need some way to carry water, some basic bike tools, an extra tube, a portable pump, and some gloves. Most use camelbacks, or you can use an under-the-seat bag and carry water on a bottle mounted to your frame via a cage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here is where I will be usually doing my riding since it is down the street from me and i hear its a good place to ride. If it help as to what kind of terrain I will be riding.

and the shop im looking at has the 26'' in a bunch of sizes but the 29er in a 19 only.
They also have the 26'' in a V-Brake for only $299 or would the extra $50 for disk be worth it.

Alot of people are saying the 26'' would be better for a first bike and what not. I herd a 26'' is faster and I like fast so.

I just dont know what to do. lol.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
as others said, only get the bike if it fits you well. does the 19" 29er fit you well. i have a 29er one size too small and i can get by- not ideal but not too bad.

a 26" bike isn't faster than a 29er. maybe you can start out a tad faster but i love the feel of a 29er once you get going. osmar said it correctly with how it rolls nicely over obstacles.

ride as many bikes as you can within your budget and see what feels the best- 26" and 29er. if you narrow it down to a couple bikes then post them up and get others' opinions.

about the disk brakes, i prefer them but on entry level bikes, they are most likely going to be cheap. they'll stop you probably perfectly fine but at least you can upgrade if you really want to. i have bb5s and i was over 250 last year and they stopped me fine- not huge downhills but still ups and downs.

check a lot out and let us know what you find.

enjoy- bikes are fun!
ez

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I went and checked them out and I choose the 26" but I did not buy I just looked now if you guys could tell me if this is a good buy @ 359.99 + tax. Its the 2010 specialized hardrock with ygr cable disk brakes on sale cause its 2010 obviously so I have to jump on it they only have one 19 frame left . I like how it rides buy if I wait a week I'd have about a hundred bucks more would it be worth it to pas on this. For a hundred or 150 more? I just don't want to rush and make sure I don't buy something that I'm going to regret not spendig a bit more for? Or is it a good buy? The thing that freaked me a little it had plastic peddles all the other bikes had metal so I freaked and thought it may be a cheapo. Sorry for spelling and stuff I'm doing this from my crappy blackberry

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
EvilMonkey said:
Alot of people are saying the 26'' would be better for a first bike and what not. I herd a 26'' is faster and I like fast so.
Do any of those people actually own a 29er? Faster in what way? Certainly not downhill and most definitely not on the straights. Maybe in tight switchbacks but that depends on rider ability. Go 29er .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Willie F Russell said:
i think 19" will be ok for him
lol How can you say that you think it would "be ok for him" if you don't know his height or his body measurements?

As far as the quoted price is concerned...I think it's a bit high. At my lbs we have 10' Hardrocks for under $300. I think your LBS should be able to come down a bit in price...or thrown in a few accessories to justify their price. Did they take your measurements? Do you know your measurements? Your inseam at least?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.