Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Also, I decided to go ahead and paint the front fork myself. It was in pretty bad shape. I sanded the paint with some 220 grit, applied a few coats of duplicolor engine enamel primer, and am in the middle of applying a few coats of matte black. After the black will come some clear coats. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to wet sand with 600 grit before I apply the clear. And if I do, how long do I need to wait for the black to dry?

Attachments

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
FeltDH said:
nice find, lots better than some of the bikes I've restored

$65 sounds kinda steep for just cables and housings, but it depends where you are, it's not a rip off, just not a good deal.
It wouldn't be steep if they put it on for him/ tuned up the drivetrain. My LBS charges around that price for swapping out drivetrains but what they do is a drivetrain tune up, new cables/housing/readjustment and fine tuning of the actual shifting. If you don't know how to adjust your shifting then you'll want to learn at some point because you'll need to make adjustments every couple of rides or so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the input pfox90. I have friend-of-a-friend at a semi-local (hour away) BS that may be able to hook me up with a better deal. I'm waiting to hear back from my friend.

I painted the fork tonight. 3 coats (light coats) engine primer. 3 or 4 coats matte black. Put the decals on, then did 2 coats clear. I may do some more clear coats after the paint cures. Here's a pick of it hanging with the masking tape on. I didn't paint the inner tube. It will remain gold (it's masked in the picture).

I have another question, and I feel dumb asking this. Apparently I missed taking out some spacer/washer things when I brought the frame in for painting. The powder coating guys took it out for me, but I don't know where it goes now. I'm attaching a picture of the washers. Anyone know where they go? :confused: Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
wow, that fork came out really nice! just fwi you might need to sand inside the dropouts down a bit to get the qr in there. maybe not though, try it, if you didn't know i could see that becoming a major pia. also those pieces look like pieces of a shock bushing reducer to me but im not really sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
b-kul said:
wow, that fork came out really nice! just fwi you might need to sand inside the dropouts down a bit to get the qr in there. maybe not though, try it, if you didn't know i could see that becoming a major pia. also those pieces look like pieces of a shock bushing reducer to me but im not really sure.
Thanks. I'll keep the note about the dropouts in mind when I go to piece her back together.

After looking at some before pictures and seeing where the bushing fits, it looks to go in one of the holes where the rear frame pivots with the front frame near the bottom bracket. I think it belongs in the rear frame holes. Now I just have to figure out the particular fitment in that location. Does it go on the outside between the rear frame and the outer bolt head, or does it go on the inside, between the rear frame and the front frame?

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
For your rear shock. They go on the outside holes when putting the screws in on each side so they don't screw into the frame. Thought, if you only got two then it could be for the swing arms? If there are 4 then it's for the shock.

I have another question, and I feel dumb asking this. Apparently I missed taking out some spacer/washer things when I brought the frame in for painting. The powder coating guys took it out for me, but I don't know where it goes now. I'm attaching a picture of the washers. Anyone know where they go? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Blksocks--I think you are right in that they go where the swing arms are. There are only two, and that's the only place they fit. Attached is a picture pointing to where I think they go, but I need to know if they go on the insides or outsides of the swing arms.

Attachments

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
hunterc4 said:
Blksocks--I think you are right in that they go where the swing arms are. There are only two, and that's the only place they fit. Attached is a picture pointing to where I think they go, but I need to know if they go on the insides or outsides of the swing arms.
I believe that they go on the inside of the swingarm as sort of a bearing surface. You could ask this question on the Gary Fisher forum, there are a lot of Sugar owners out there who can help.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
They appear to be bushings. I believe this frame used a bushing pivot system instead of bearings.

If possible, you might want to try sourcing some new ones. Those look pretty shitty, at least in that photo. You can probably find a frame disassembly diagram somewhere and get some part numbers.

·
slap happy
417 Posts
hey, there, shitty shitty *** *** shitty shitty *** *** how do you do?

sorry lol. any south park fans here will get that one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok I emailed Gary Fishert support earlier today. They responded very promptly with the price (4.50) and part number for the bushings. I brought it up to my LbS and they went ahead and ordered them for me. I think it was probably a good idea to replace them because I found an older thread about someones sugar 3 frame being trashed because of the same bushings going bad.

Today I did some finishing touches on the bare frame. I also sanded down and painted the lower rear derailleur guard.

Upcoming tasks: I'll be in NOLA this weekend until Fat Tuesday for Mardi Gras. Next week I will be doing another clear coat on the fork. Then: assembly. After assembly I will be bringing it to my friend of a friend to put my crankset and bottom bracket back on. He will aslo be putting on some red cable housing and new cables.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.