Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rookie
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only bikes I've had is a steel Mongoose when I was a kid(technically still am at 14[15 in august], then my brother moved out I got his Redline Pro Comp, then a mountain bike at a yard-sale for $5 and got it fixed for $80 several months ago. Rode the Redline and steel frame mountain bike. I've been looking and at $400-1200 price range. Just for an an entry level bike. I've done most of my homework and I though full suspension was the way to go (DH/FR). Nope. I've had a bit of experience with my steel frame in the mountains in the Antelope Valley area, and a hardtail 29er seems a good way to go. 29 because during the summer I hike in the Angles Forest. Blue Ridge trail to be specific. Any recommendations?
Sorry for long and slightly scattered post.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
5'8" at 14, you might think about what happens as you finish growing. I got my son a 21" frame bike when he was 12 (he was already pretty tall for his age but not quite big enough for a 21" to be correct at that time), and he quickly grew into it. Still rides it today at 20 years old and 6'4" tall.

Hard to say if you'd grow into a large or not, but it's something to consider if you think you'll have the bike for more than a year or so. It doesn't take long when a teenager goes on a growth spurt.

You might be able to find a Giant XtC 2 29er within your budget (they list for $1,300), especially if you find a 2010. Should be a good bike to ride around the places you listed.

Another way to go might be to find a bike from a place like Bikes Direct (or anywhere else for that matter) that fits you now, but that you could transfer the parts onto a larger frame as you grow.

·
Rookie
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeffj said:
5'8" at 14, you might think about what happens as you finish growing.
That is what I have been thinking about. I think I could manage having a bigger frame and growing into it. Either way I could just upgrade to meet my needs.

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
Im 14 (turning 15 in august too :) ) I just got my first nice bike in September. I got a 2010 Rocky Element 50 for $1000. Its not exactly a race bike but its great full suspension for the price (retail is 2500 i think). Anyways the way to go is used. Just watch your local Craigslist for any deals that come up, then offer them less than they are asking.

·
Rookie
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, but in the Southern California Craigslist there are way to many road bikes. About 5-9 mtb a day. Most without any front suspension. But their are some very nice ones on there too, I've seen an Iron Horse on there. It was really nice.
I like this although it isn't a 29er but seems nice http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gt/gt_avalanche_disc_2.htm

·
GOT ME A 29ER!!!
156 Posts
hi

If you live in the States and can't get used bikes I'd say Motobecane is the way to go. You can get top of the line parts fairly cheap and that was a good point about being able to switch them onto a larger frame later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.