Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, the information on here is great! Thanks. I purchased a Brodie Unibomber off of E bay 2 weeks ago and I have not touched my Epic since. I cannot get over how much fun it is to SS. I rode my normal trails and I am hooked for sure, being a bike whore I am going to start a build up of something just not sure what yet . My only problem (not really a problem) my 2 sons and wife ride as well....all on Epics, and they see how sprung I am on my $350.00 bike.

·
Registered
881 Posts
too funny...

I went from an Epic to singlespeeding too! All that technology gets you down.

Welcome to gang, I'm sure we'll be seeing you around.

MC

SSTurtle said:
Wow, the information on here is great! Thanks. I purchased a Brodie Unibomber off of E bay 2 weeks ago and I have not touched my Epic since. I cannot get over how much fun it is to SS. I rode my normal trails and I am hooked for sure, being a bike whore I am going to start a build up of something just not sure what yet . My only problem (not really a problem) my 2 sons and wife ride as well....all on Epics, and they see how sprung I am on my $350.00 bike.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
Epic SS

a friend and LBS wrench converted his Specy Epic to SS using a Singleator. No chain growth issues it seems. Looks rad too. He likes it so much he wants to build another. Maybe the new carbon frame?!

now just walk away from that toolbox... ;)

MellowCat said:
I went from an Epic to singlespeeding too! All that technology gets you down.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Epic

it is a cool bike, but the "unique" ride feel is something you either like, or do not. I found it was hard to predict when the suspension was going to be active, as often it wasn't active until after the bump! The bike handles like a dream, and has incredible traction though. It would make an interesting Fully Singlespeed. Too bad I sold mine!

MC

Hollywood said:
a friend and LBS wrench converted his Specy Epic to SS using a Singleator. No chain growth issues it seems. Looks rad too. He likes it so much he wants to build another. Maybe the new carbon frame?!

now just walk away from that toolbox... ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sell Your Epic Now.

Seriously, that bike was a miss. Sell your's now before the general consumer realizes that it is not the height of suspension technology....and therefore is not worth the obscene pricetag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another first post - just saying hello

I don't yet consider myself to be a SS'er, but I did just purchase a new Surly 1x1 with the standard QBP build kit. Why? I broke my SC Heckler frame last week and I can't wait the 4-6 weeks it will take to get the warranty resolved to ride (having only one bike sucks). Besides, I've wanted a Surly 1x1 for awhile so I just did it. Haven't even ridden it yet, but I hope to remedy that today. It's going to be interesting going from a 2x9 with 5+ inches of travel to a 1x1 with 0 travel even though I never used the granny gear.

I have plenty of experience with my geared FS build and know what works and what doesn't, but very little experience with SS. I am not a weight weenie and I don't race. I just like to ride and build trail and I think the SS will make me a stronger rider. Here's what I have on the 1x1. What would you replace first?

Surly 1x1 frame and fork
Cane Creek S2 headset
Easton EA50 mid-rise bar
Sun Rhynolite rims
Surly new disc hubs
DT Swiss spokes
Avid mech disc brakes/Avid levers
Truvativ Stylo SS ISIS crankset w/bashguard - 34 tooth
ACS Claw freewheel - 17 tooth
SRAM PC1 chain
Salsa stem
Salsa Shaft seatpost
WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 tires
WTB seat (not sure which, but it seems comfortable enough)

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
TX_Chunks said:
I don't yet consider myself to be a SS'er, but I did just purchase a new Surly 1x1 with the standard QBP build kit.
Guess what? You are a SSer now.

TX_Chunks said:
Here's what I have on the 1x1. What would you replace first?
Truvativ Stylo SS ISIS crankset w/bashguard - 34 tooth
ACS Claw freewheel - 17 tooth
sounds like a nice enough build. Should last you long enough to decide if its a keeper or not. If you ride it lots, I suspect the two items above will be the first to give you problems (ISIS bb). Otherwise no need to change anything right away, IMO.

Riding City Park on the Surly will be a big change from bombing it on a Heckler! I've only ridden it once but I recall all the steps/drops. Can't wait to hear your first ride report.

welcome to you and Turtle to the SS scene, hope ya stick around.

HW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hollywood said:

sounds like a nice enough build. Should last you long enough to decide if its a keeper or not. If you ride it lots, I suspect the two items above will be the first to give you problems (ISIS bb). Otherwise no need to change anything right away, IMO.

Riding City Park on the Surly will be a big change from bombing it on a Heckler! I've only ridden it once but I recall all the steps/drops. Can't wait to hear your first ride report.

HW
Thanks,

I am already on the hunt for something to build. I really like the idea of steel, and chrome. Looking at going with the SASS frame and fork (Chrome ) Using that frame and fork as my foundation and building from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SSTurtle said:
Thanks,

I am already on the hunt for something to build. I really like the idea of steel, and chrome. Looking at going with the SASS frame and fork (Chrome ) Using that frame and fork as my foundation and building from there.
Here is my Epic

That Skewer is for my trainer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hollywood said:

HW
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have now ridden the Surly, but not at City Park. That's going to be a much later challenge - still have a few things left to clean with the FS there. I did ride at a much more SS friendly trail in Austin, Walnut Creek. I'm fighting off a nasty cold and I was wheezing quite a bit, but I still averaged about a mile an hour faster than on my geared bike. I'm definitely sticking with this. This bike handled amazingly well, downhilled almost as fast as the heckler (but with much more chop), and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. My thumb kept involuntarily trying to shift to a harder gear while I was riding. Now I just need to get used to picking a line, the heckler would roll over just about everything.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
I'd replace...

TX_Chunks said:
. What would you replace first?
I'd replace my torn acl and meniscus(sp?).

Looking at your build, nothing. Why replace what isn't broke? Ride the bike and maybe try out a suspension fork if it suits your needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts