Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies/Gents,

I've been doing so much research on which bike to buy for this season that I finally decided to just through it out there and see what feedback I get. I'm 6' tall, 195lbs, 32" inseam and am looking for a all-mountain/trail bike for around $2500. Here are the two I've narrowed it down to:

2014 Scott Genius 720 LT
2014 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 750

The Scott is on Craigslist for $2000 ($4000 new) while the RM is at a local bike shop for $2500 ($3400 new) so $27xx with tax. The components on the RM seems to be a little better while the carbon frame on the Scott is a plus.

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated so I can finally pull the trigger and get my a$$ out on the mountain. Thanks!

·
ACHOO
4,453 Posts
That's a solid budget, and I'm glad to see you are considering used. Have a glance at pinkbike as well - you can you even specify a budget range. I'd guess that you might negotiate down a used bike listed for $2800 or more down to your $2500, and get a bike that originally cost close to $4K. Also, given your price range, shipping may be worthwhile, so you needn't limit yourself to the selection immediately in your neighborhood.

At 6' I assume you are already aware of a good framesize for your in advance, which is probably Large, barring some inseam/torso combinations.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
How much riding experience do you have?

Have you been able to demo the two bikes above or any trail bikes? With your budget I would see everything that's out there, pick the one I enjoyed riding the most, and you could probably find an amazing deal used on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much riding experience. This is my first true season of riding. I've taken them both on test rides and they are pretty comparable. Is the Rocky Mountain really worth $800 more than the Scott? Both bikes are in excellent condition but based on reviews, the RM seems to have MUCH better components.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Depends on use. While used you can get a great price, most LBS provide free maintance for new bikes. The used one may have wear on parts that will need replacing. I know I'm different than most but I'd pickup the RM. A lighter frame doesn't always mean more fun and I'd rather have the better parts.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Your two options are 2 totally different bikes. The Thunderbolt is a 120mm XC bike while the Scott is a 150mm trail/enduro bike. So to determine which bike is best for you, you have to determine what kind of riding you'll be doing. If you're doing rides with epic climbs then I'd go with the Thunderbolt. If you're doing more trail riding and your occasional shuttled ride, then I'd go with the Scott. If you're not sure and you'll be riding with more experienced buddies, then you can check out their bikes to see what kinds they're riding to get an idea. Which trails in Denver would you be frequenting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts