Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HopHeads, Unite!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. Been lurking here for awhile, reading up on things and researching (lots of great info here) but didn't have a reason to post until now. I live in Pennsylvania and got the 29er bug more than a year ago when I built an On One Inbred 29er SS. Since then, my Titus RacerX went largely unused until this year when I developed a disc issue in my lower back. Broke out the full-sus again but wow, did I miss the big wheels. So, the search was on for a full-boing 29er.

I was looking at the VooDoo Canzo, the Kona Hei Hei 2-9, and the Titus RacerX 29er but in the end got a great deal on the Kona.

I just finished the build (for now) with the following:

Kona Hei-Hei 2-9 20" frame, Fox RP2 shock--frame weight 6.7 lbs.
Manitou Minute 29 80mm fork
Cane Creek 110 headset
Thomson Elite stem
Answer ProTaper carbon bar
Ergon grips
Avid Juicy 7 brakes, 160mm rotors
SRAM 9.0SL 8-speed twisty shifters (carbon to match the bar!)
Thomson Elite straight seatpost
Ritchey saddle
SRAM X9 front and rear derailleurs
Shimano XTR 8-spd rear cassette
Shimano XT Hollowtech II cranks

And I stole the wheels off my On One--Salsa Delgado rims laced to a front Paul hub and a boat anchor rear Specialized Stout hub with 14g straight spokes running Panaracer Rampage tires.

As is, the bike weighs 30.14 lbs. I want to drop a few pounds.

The wheels are boat anchors on this bike and I'm building a new set with Stans Flow rims but I can't decide on DT Swiss 240 hubs or Hope Pro II hubs.

I'm about 6' 1" and around 205-210, with no gear. I've searched around on here for hub feedback, but will one of these hubs build a better wheel for someone my size?

I ride predominantly XC, Enduro stuff on typical East coast conditions--roots, rocks, rocks, rocks, roots . . .

Any help on this one?

Here's pics of the Kona... I have to find pics of the OnOne.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
First off, nice bike. I'm riding a Kula 2-9 right now and love it, but am thinking of investing in a Hei Hei next year for rougher courses, races. Make sure to report on how it rides.

Second, regarding hubs. I'm about the same size as you - I'm running Arches and Hope II's. Can't say enough good things about them - no problems after over a year of riding (sounds like we ride similar terrain). They're very loud - bothers some, but not me. I'm sure you will find a lot of other people on the board with similar good things to say. This said, I haven't heard too many bad things about the DTs either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice bike!

I have a HeiHei29 too that I've been riding all year and really dig it. Running a Reba at 100mm though.

As far as shaving weight, man, FS29'ers are just heavy. Mine's just under 29lbs. There's lots of guys flashing some 26-27lbers but dang, it SEEMS you got run some real ridiculous rubber like Stan's Crows to do it.

See if you can live with a lighter tire in the 600-700gm range and maybe use 26" lightwt. tubes. I like the Specialized Captains Sworks. It works pretty good out here in dusty loose Socal. Not sure about the dirt in your parts though.

Regardless, nice bike, don't think about the weight too much, just enjoy the smooooothnesss. :)

·
HopHeads, Unite!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I know I shouldn't expect the world of the rig--heck, my 26" wheeled XL Titus RacerX clocked in at around 28 pounds. And I know I'm already behind the 8 ball with a 20" frame--it's not like I'm a circus midget riding a tiny bike. If I lose a pound + on the next wheel build, I'll be happy, and I think that's reasonable by going to a Stan's tubeless setup.

It was just oh, so nice to finally roll on 29er wheels again! My OnOne had been down with a screwed up Reba (I'll never buy another) for the past month or so. Feeling the love of 29er wheels again just ruled.

Going back to weight weenie world . . . according to specs I've found, the Hope hubs weigh about 140g more than the DT Swiss. Does it matter that much for hub weight at the middle of the wheel? There's a pretty significant price separation. I've also read, though that the spoke flanges on the Hopes are slightly wider, which could lead to a stiffer wheel build? I'm always willing sacrifice a few grams if it means the bike is going to be more worry-free.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hope Pro II Hubs

I've been running a set of Hope Pro II hubs for three years now on my 29er singlespeed, and I had a geared rear wheel built up with a Hope Pro II hub this spring. As noted above, those hubs are LOUD. To the point where my riding partners always know when I rolling up on them...from about 50 feet away. But they have been very durable and they build up into a nice strong wheel with Bontrager Mustang rims; at least when Mike Curiak does the build! ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
The Hope's may weigh a tad more, but (in my opinion) it's pretty negligible. If you have the Hope's combined with Flow rims, and run it tubeless, that is one very nice wheelset. The only difference from mine would be I am running Arches. And to be honest, I wouldn't want them any lighter. I already have to keep an eye on the front during steep climbs, and they are rugged enough that I can thrash them without worry.
Hope's are great bang for the buck, and they are worry-free, versatile etc. My only other advice would be to rely on a good wheelbuilder. It's stating the obvious, but a huge factor.

·
HopHeads, Unite!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DT Swiss 240s hubs and Initial Ride Thoughts

Thanks for all the input, everyone. In the end, the decision was kinda made for me. I went to order the Hope hubs but the rear ones were out of stock, so I ended up ordering the DT Swiss 240s and XTR skewers. My local shop is working on getting the Stans Flow rims for me and then my buddy there and I will have a wheel building party.

Next up, decision on butted spokes or straight gauge. I'm thinking I'm going to opt for straight gauge DT Swiss Comp spokes.

fulcrum1--Kona doesn't list the frame-only on their website, but if you talk to them, they may have them to sell. The rep out here worked with me. Great guy. I specifically only wanted the frame because I didn't want to pay for another Reba I didn't want.

lil hillbilly--Thanks for the bike weights with different tires--that gives me an idea what to expect. When I go tubeless, I'll be trying Kenda Nevegal 2.2s. The Panaracers are sweet for the hardtail SS and 1x8, but they are definitely a big, heavy tire.

The Ride (after only one--yeah, a veritable tomb of experience, I know):

I was able to get one ride in so far. First impressions are really, really positive. The back end is laterally stiff with no wandering in corners, under stress, etc. I like the fact the pivots are sandwiched. I noticed on my buddy's VooDoo Canzo, they are not. The bike handles great. No surprises. The one corner I overshot on a really steep downhill off-camber switchback was my fault, not the bike's. I set my handlebar higher on this bike than on my Inbred, and I'm thinking I like it alot. Easy to pick up the front and easier on my screwed up back. Might play around with the height a little to see how it affects climbing.

The Fox RP2 is great--still have to dial in the air pressure a little--I think I may have a touch too much sag going right now. I ran rebound right in the middle to start. Flip the lever to ProPedal and I can stand and hammer without the backend being stupid.

The Manitou Minute, in my estimation, is heads and shoulders above the Reba on my Inbred. Much stiffer. I can turn the bike into a corner and the fork tracks correctly. With the Reba I usually had to correct thru the corner to compensate for the flex. This was especially true on slow, tight, rocky, downhill switchbacks. I remember turning my bar with my Reba, looking down and realizing the wheel was pointing a different direction. Kinda nerve wracking.

I have noticed the tinging/light knocking noise other people have commented on with the Minute. I'll wait a few more rides to see if it bugs me. Right now I have the air pressure set at 60% of my body weight, per Manitou's recommendo, and I figure I'll play with that a bit, too.

On the one ride I've done, I've played around with the Absolute settings and found on 2 clicks, it moves slightly when out of the saddle climbing and on 3 clicks, it's pretty stable. 2 clicks seemed to work decent to provide some platform but still quickly become active when riding trail. Manitou needs to make a handlebar remote for this system--it would be sweet.

Overall, I don't have anything to add about the Manitou that Rainman hasn't already said in his very thorough, more systematic review. I'll just second the idea that this is a good fork, and apparently too often overlooked as it seems I see things about Rebas and Foxes much more often.

When I get on the bike again, I'll post up some more notes. Right now my PT told me to stay off it for a week. I think I may sit in a corner, cry, and drink beer for the next 7 days.

·
Ozark Native
600 Posts
i like your tread

lame camera pic:

Hei-Hei rollin. new rear wheel to be built w/ spokes arriv. today;) other wise only changes to be made will be set-back seatpost also to be here today:D

only ridin her to work for now (broken colarbone, soooo much rain!) Five week mark for my stupid sholder, so as soon as it drys up just a little Im on for a ride!:rolleyes:

FYI the 30.9# was w/ brooks copper prof saddle and 32# was w/ titech saddle.

I should have wheels built by the weekend. KH hoop and Profile hub. more pink to come:rolleyes: she will be know as the.......TOXIC SHOX :D

Attachments

·
HopHeads, Unite!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like your 1x6 setup. Very clean. I may experiment with a 1x8 or 2x8 setup on mine. I was running 1x8 on my hardtail all winter and liked it.

I was able to use SRAM's X9 short cage derailleur with the 1x8 with no problem. Made a very compact package to avoid rocks and logs with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.