Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post, so please be gentle if it’s in the wrong section.

I’ve been thinking about either upgrading my current ride (’93 Specialized Rockhopper) or buying a new bike. It has mostly been a commuting bike with the occasional trail, but lately I’ve been getting more into the more intense trail stuff. The bike was in pretty good shape because I’ve taken good care of it since I bought it new, but…. I got hit by a car yesterday (no broken bones, just some bruises and stitches) and it now has a bent handlebar and rims. The only complaint I had about it before the crash was that it wasn’t shifting the way it used to.

Would you recommend buying new rims and bars for this bike? Could I buy Deore/LX derailers and just bolt them up to cure the shifting problems? I’d also like to put some suspension up front, so I’d be looking for a reasonably priced fork. I saw someone suggest the Marzocchi MX Comp in another thread.

My LBS (I’m pretty sure that means local bike store) has last years Rockhopper on for $599CDN with a Manitou Axel fork, Alivio/Deore derailers, and Tektro V brakes. I was thinking about picking up one of those and getting them to upgrade to Deore/LX derailers.

I really wish they had had a Rockhopper Comp in my size. They look like a good deal with a Manitou splice fork, deore/LX derailers, Shimano V brakes, for $770. They had some 15's that were much too small and some 19's that where just a bit too big. Boooo for not the right size.

So, what do you think? Fix up the old beater (please suggest parts), or buy new (does the ’05 Rockhopper sound like a deal?) ???

Thanks in advance,
Evan.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Without knowing whether your frame was damaged as well as the rims and bars, hard to say you even should try to upgrade your old bike. Do you have only one lbs to shop at? Without knowing more I'm thinking a new bike is still something more attractive for you.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
This was an injury accident so it must be reported to the police.

Was the driver issued a ticket?? If so he is at fault.

You are entitled to mitigate your damages.

Since you commute you need to replace or fix the the bike ASAP.

Judges like clean fixes. I like clean bikes.

Buy the new one (if you can) and sue for damages.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was on the sidewalk and I shouldn't have been. She wasn't paying as much attention as she should have been. I need a new bike and she needs some bodywork on her van. We called it square and went our seperate ways.

I'm pretty sure the frame isn't bent, but it did get scratched up. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll buy new. There are 3 shops in town. Doug's has Kona, Specialized, and Trek. Bruce's has Gary Fisher and Rocky Mountain. Bike Doctor has Marin, Giant, and Cannondale.

I went back to Doug's and checked on the rockhoppers and he doesn't even have any 17's left in the non-Comp version now. For more money he suggested either the Kona Caldera or the Trek 6500 Disc. I was looking at a Marin a few days ago and their frames seem awesome, but for the same price as the Caldera and the 6500 I'd end up with crappier drivetrain and brakes.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
First, buy a frame and component set that fits you (or a frame and a dealer willing to swap out components to fit you). Watch the quality of the components as you already seem to be doing and you'll be fine. Good luck and nice to see someone who is willing to share fault in an accident instead of using the US lawyer methods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
evan the cdn said:
I was on the sidewalk and I shouldn't have been. She wasn't paying as much attention as she should have been. I need a new bike and she needs some bodywork on her van. We called it square and went our seperate ways.
Amazing. In this day & age of hot coffee lawsuits, two people who actually take responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
if you have the money, buy a new bike. you will get a frame that was designed for a suspension fork, the components will be worlds better than what you currently have. Down the road, maybe convert the old bike to a singlspeed for cruising around town.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I've pretty well convinced myself to buy new. The Trek didn't fit me, so that leaves two options.

Specialized Rockhopper for $650CDN
-Deore/LX derailleurs
-Manitou Axel fork
-Tektro V brakes
-Sun CR-18 rims
VS.
Kona Caldera for $1050CDN
-Deore/XT derailleurs
-Marzocchi MZ-2 fork
-Hayes Nine disc brakes
-Sun Black Eye rims

After taxes the Caldera will cost $452 more than the RH, is it really that much more bike?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Personally both bikes have components with issues. The forks on each bike are weak as well as the brakes. Depends on what you need and can afford, though. Have you looked at the other brands you mention at the other shops? I'd say keep looking...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
you were on a bike on the sidewalk, i think that qualifies you as a pedestrian, even if you technically should not have been there, and like 99% of the time it's going to be the fault of the vehicle's driver. you should at least look into having your medical bills covered, and having your new bike paid for. at the very least consult an attorney.

and if anyone gives you a hard time about being frivolous, tell them to stuff it. they weren't the ones almost seriously injured because some idiot driver did not bother paying attention. they most likely would have run into a blader/jogger/runner moving at decent speed just as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Personally both bikes have components with issues. The forks on each bike are weak as well as the brakes. Depends on what you need and can afford, though. Have you looked at the other brands you mention at the other shops? I'd say keep looking...
Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated.

I was lead to believe that the Hayes Nine brakes are great. They said they were a lot better the the Hayes Sole because the caliper squeezes from both sides rather than just one. Are they crappy brakes, or weak compared to the other components, or weak for the price?

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
salimoneus said:
you were on a bike on the sidewalk, i think that qualifies you as a pedestrian, even if you technically should not have been there, and like 99% of the time it's going to be the fault of the vehicle's driver. you should at least look into having your medical bills covered, and having your new bike paid for. at the very least consult an attorney.
I don't know Canadian traffic law, but here in Pennsylvania, a bicycle is considered a vehicle and is subject to the same traffic laws as automobiles.

I think in Canada his medical bills are already covered by the government, unlike here in the US where I make too much to get welfare, but not enough to pay the $800 a month it costs to cover my family through my employer, but that's a rant for another message.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Evan, I think you and the driver did the right thing. If the accident wasn't serious, there were no major injuries, and both sides walked away "happy", that's the end of it. Too many people expect to get something for nothing, and it's sad.

I think either bike will work for you, so it may just come down to price. Good luck and congratulations for not trying to sue everyone and everything...

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
evan the cdn said:
I think I've pretty well convinced myself to buy new. The Trek didn't fit me, so that leaves two options.

Specialized Rockhopper for $650CDN
-Deore/LX derailleurs
-Manitou Axel fork
-Tektro V brakes
-Sun CR-18 rims
VS.
Kona Caldera for $1050CDN
-Deore/XT derailleurs
-Marzocchi MZ-2 fork
-Hayes Nine disc brakes
-Sun Black Eye rims

After taxes the Caldera will cost $452 more than the RH, is it really that much more bike?
being as your from saskatewan...steep downhills and mud will likely not be a huge problem....the only reason i would recommend discs to you is if you are a cylde (ie 200pounds+)

that said for the price i would say that the kona is probally the best of the two

DMR

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
dawgs1850 said:
Evan, I think you and the driver did the right thing. If the accident wasn't serious, there were no major injuries, and both sides walked away "happy", that's the end of it. Too many people expect to get something for nothing, and it's sad.
It's so easy to sit back and comment from your high horse, but what if it had been your child that got run over and (god forbid) maybe even paralyzed for life? I'd bet my house you'd be singing a very different tune...

·
silly person
629 Posts
salimoneus said:
It's so easy to sit back and comment from your high horse, but what if it had been your child that got run over and (god forbid) maybe even paralyzed for life? I'd bet my house you'd be singing a very different tune...
Maybe you should re-read the post you quoted. In fact, maybe you should reread the whole thread. Both people were at fault, no-one got hurt. The post you quoted made it quite clear that as this was the case, suing wasn't a good option in their opinion. Obviously, if your child got run over by a reckless driver then there would be a case. I don't think the poster was commenting "from a high horse", just using good common sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tips everybody. I bit the bullet and bought the Caldera today mostly because it fit me really well and I felt really comfortable on it. I haven’t had a chance to go for an extended ride yet because of the stitches, but I have no regrets. I do weigh 220lbs so hopefully I will benefit from the discs, and if I do end up having trouble with them down the road I'll keep you posted.

As for the legal issue... I'm sure there are many instances that would warrant legal action, but this wasn't one of them. So, it's all good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Martin.mac.au said:
Maybe you should re-read the post you quoted. In fact, maybe you should reread the whole thread. Both people were at fault, no-one got hurt. The post you quoted made it quite clear that as this was the case, suing wasn't a good option in their opinion. Obviously, if your child got run over by a reckless driver then there would be a case. I don't think the poster was commenting "from a high horse", just using good common sense.
I sure did read the post I quoted, and was responding specifically to that last bit:

Too many people expect to get something for nothing, and it's sad.
Which was apparently directed at me. If you go back and read my original reply, I ultimately recommended he consult an attorney, I never suggested anyone immediately go fire up a lawsuit. Maybe to some people "consult an attorney" means "lawsuit" but to most everyone else it's pretty obvious that it only implies seeking advice from someone that specializes in the law instead of just making guesses on your own.

Then again I can't really expect someone that knows nothing about the law to realize that in some places it's perfectly legal for a bike to be on the sidewalk in certain conditions, but that's ok we should all just take your advice instead as you apparently know more about what's right and wrong in all cases because of your superior common sense :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.