Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never posted here before but I have been reading this forum for a while. I just finished building my first SS and took it for a ride. I built it all just using advice given to other posts and the FAQ. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge here. Thank you!! All of my questions were answered without even having to ask.

I took the bike for a ride and had a blast, I am hooked. My squishy geared friends think I am crazy, if only they knew.

I tried to post a picture of it here but I was unable to do so. It keeps giving me a messege that the page is unavailable. I'll try again later.

Thanks again!!!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Don't worry about what anyone thinks. If you are happy, thats what matters.

Anyways, soon you will be waiting for your friends at the top of every climb..:)

R.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Welcome!

Six years ago I was the only guy on a SS on our night rides. Last night at least half (of 22 riders) were on them, including several that swore they would never ride a SS.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
So where's the bike pic??

I tried to post a picture of it here but I was unable to do so. It keeps giving me a messege that the page is unavailable. I'll try again later.

Thanks again!!![/QUOTE]

Post it! You'se know what I means!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still won't let me post pic

What am I doing wrong? Keep getting the same message. Is there a file size limit?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
skogorbet said:
What am I doing wrong? Keep getting the same message. Is there a file size limit?
Yes there is, think is 600x600 and there's a size limit too but don't remember it.

Use a free photo hosting site like Photobucket and paste the "

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, a picture

Alright, so I think I got it to work. Here is a photo of my first SS, probably not my last. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
skogorbet said:
Alright, so I think I got it to work. Here is a photo of my first SS, probably not my last. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.
I have only one sugestion: Sell that to me right now! J/K, I can't even afford another bike for a while but I hope my next will be a budget SS home-build.

Looks great.

Ian

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again everyone. Yeah.... I'm totally hooked. I wanna build another one just because I had fun building it. The whole build including finding the bike on Craigslist cost around $350, with some parts I had laying around, craigslist, and some other used parts I managed to scrounge up.

Can't wait to go for another ride.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Nice

I like your ride. What gearing are you using? Have you tried to find the magic gear?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Travis Bickle said:
I like your ride. What gearing are you using? Have you tried to find the magic gear?

I am using a 32/18, which feels pretty good to me right now, I have a 16 that I may switch to in time. I climbed some hills and my legs felt good.I didn't even try the magic number, but I will check that out.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Magic gear

It's a gear combo that has the proper chain tension without the need of a chain tensioner with vertical dropouts.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
I like my answer better...

Gear ratio. Whatever final gear ratio formula you fancy. Straight Gear, Gear Inch, Gera Inch w/ Crankarm length, Straight Gear Inch w/ Crankarm length plus the Color Socks and whether they're synthetic or wool you're wearing when you ride in relation to your hair style.
:D :D :D :D

...am I being a bad guy for laughing at myself yet?

Seriously though look up the thread about gear ratios. It helps to save money and hassle and gives you a general idea of how a specific ratio will feel. For example on my 14" Surly 1x1 I run 32:16 w/ 175 for general play. 32:17(or 18) w/ 175 for climbing, and 36:17 for when I play or compete in the 26" cruiser class at the Bmx track(with the front brake removed per class rules.)

·
ss poser
406 Posts
obi.one.speed.only said:
Gear ratio. Whatever final gear ratio formula you fancy. Straight Gear, Gear Inch, Gera Inch w/ Crankarm length, Straight Gear Inch w/ Crankarm length plus the Color Socks and whether they're synthetic or wool you're wearing when you ride in relation to your hair style.
:D :D :D :D

...am I being a bad guy for laughing at myself yet?

Seriously though look up the thread about gear ratios. It helps to save money and hassle and gives you a general idea of how a specific ratio will feel. For example on my 14" Surly 1x1 I run 32:16 w/ 175 for general play. 32:17(or 18) w/ 175 for climbing, and 36:17 for when I play or compete in the 26" cruiser class at the Bmx track(with the front brake removed per class rules.)
oy vay!! sounds complicated. how about i just let the boys at the shop figure it out for me? ;) tks for the responses.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tink bell said:
oy vay!! sounds complicated. how about i just let the boys at the shop figure it out for me? ;) tks for the responses.
Half the fun of having the bike is building it.

·
ss poser
406 Posts
skogorbet said:
Half the fun of having the bike is building it.
nah, although i have learned quite a bit, it's too complicated for me. i just want the damned thing built already!! i want to ride it! i don't understand half of what's being done right now, or why for that matter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts