Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Figured I would introduce myself and post my humble scoot. I grew up racing motocross and riding BMX bikes, my only experience with any kind of mountain biking was unpleasant to say the least between throwing the chain off with each shift and nearly throwing myself over the handlebars subsequently. I decided to get back into biking to try to get in shape, and I just plain missed flying down a dirt path on a bike. After being talked out of a single speed/being convinced quality MTBs function like I always hoped, I found this bike after a couple months of looking around. I had to drive a state over to get it but I traded into it for a little under 500$ including gas, breakfast and lunch.

11' Santa Cruz chameleon frame
Chris King headset and hubs
SRAM XO
Hope hydralic disk brakes
DT Swiss wheels
Schwalbe Fat Alberts front and rear
Raceface cranks, Straitline pedals
Fox 100mm-160mm adjustable fork

All in all its a beast, I love it. The bike is above my skill level but being overweight to begin with I wanted something that would hold together carrying me off road, and I couldn't pass up the deal. The only things I really want to change are the stem and bars to the shorter Renthal stem and fatbars if anyone has input on those. Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
For someone that grew up with bmx, a long travel hardtail is ideal to knock the rust out of the skills and reflexes. Your setup looks to be ideal to cover a large range of trail types.

I ride a steel hardtail with a 120-150mm fork and I can rid anything from XC to All-Mountain. I prefer chutes and drops over gap jumping. Though my bike can easily handle it. I can not...

It's a blast.

Welcome back.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
you cant go wrong with the Chameleon. as far as bars and stems, check out RaceFace. they make very solid stuff and theyre not stupid $$$$ either. i picked up their Ride stem and bar for like $60 iirc

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
you cant go wrong with the Chameleon. as far as bars and stems, check out RaceFace. they make very solid stuff and theyre not stupid $$$$ either. i picked up their Ride stem and bar for like $60 iirc
You can't go wrong with the Chameleon indeed! Great bike man, congrats. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts