Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first bike today a trek 4500, I am hoping it will suit me well as a beginer & hopefully it is a decent purchase. I have read alot of reviews but will probably need to upgrade some features per others reviews. any suggestions? crank,rims,etc?
or if anyone has has any experience with this exact bike please let me know.
thanks!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I say you just ride it and love it for now. If you really really get into it you will probably find yourself wanting full suspension in a couple of years or so. So just keep it, and ride it, only replace what breaks, and save up for when you get bike upgraditis.

Only upgrade worth doing now is a decent set of shoes and pedals. Maybe some Time pedals and SIDI shoes??

Congratulations and welcome to Mt Biking!

·
255 Posts
Congrats on your bike purchase. Like I said in your other post, my friend just got a Trek 4700 and loves it. Your bike and his are pretty similar, so just go out and ride. If you haven't already, be sure to pick up the essentials like a pump, spare tube, patch kit, multi-tool (with chain tool), and tire levers. Also pick up a seat bag and water bottles/cages or go with a Camelbak hydration pack to store your water and tools.

As for upgrades, I agree with the other poster. Clipless pedals and shoes are great. Get used to the new bike first (say 10 rides or so) and talk to your shop about the pedals. They have a bit of a learning curve but make riding that much better. Also, be sure that your seat is comfortable. Its worth spending some money on a seat that works for you if after a few rides you find out that the stock seat doesn;t work (sometimes you can exchange it with the shop).

Finally, take the shop up on any maintainance/adjustment offers. The bike will break in after the first few rides and the shifting may get a little sloppy as the cables stretch. Most shops will do an initial tune up. If you have any fit problems after you get used to the bike (10 rides or so), most shops are happy to swap out different length stems, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
lawhoo said:
If you haven't already, be sure to pick up the essentials like a pump, spare tube, patch kit, multi-tool (with chain tool), and tire levers. Also pick up a seat bag and water bottles/cages or go with a Camelbak hydration pack to store your water and tools.
you should definately do this. you already have a bike that is going to ride fine on the trails as it is, so get most if not all the things listed above. id say number one get a the camelback or some type of bottle or hydration system. the last thing you want is to be out on the trail, dehydrated and hating mountain biking.

just have fun, and youll soon see things youd like to upgrade more for comfort and fit rather than weight or looks

·
CB
48 Posts
Acme54321 said:
Hopefully you got a made in the USA model because they started to make them in China now.
Yea, I picked up my 4900 less then two weeks ago and it has a "Made in China" sticker on the frame. I am not sure if I care or not, from a quality standpoint. Does it mean it was assembled there or every component was made AND assembled there? I love the bike but was surprised when I saw the sticker as I try to buy American wherever possible.

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
lawhoo said:
Congrats on your bike purchase. Like I said in your other post, my friend just got a Trek 4700 and loves it. Your bike and his are pretty similar, so just go out and ride. If you haven't already, be sure to pick up the essentials like a pump, spare tube, patch kit, multi-tool (with chain tool), and tire levers. Also pick up a seat bag and water bottles/cages or go with a Camelbak hydration pack to store your water and tools.

As for upgrades, I agree with the other poster. Clipless pedals and shoes are great. Get used to the new bike first (say 10 rides or so) and talk to your shop about the pedals. They have a bit of a learning curve but make riding that much better. Also, be sure that your seat is comfortable. Its worth spending some money on a seat that works for you if after a few rides you find out that the stock seat doesn;t work (sometimes you can exchange it with the shop).

Finally, take the shop up on any maintainance/adjustment offers. The bike will break in after the first few rides and the shifting may get a little sloppy as the cables stretch. Most shops will do an initial tune up. If you have any fit problems after you get used to the bike (10 rides or so), most shops are happy to swap out different length stems, etc.

Good luck!
I dont think they make a 4700...
its 4300, 4500 and 4900

·
255 Posts
They do make a 4700. Its not in the catalog. It was a mid-year issue by Trek to fill a supply gap. Its spec'd with a SRAM rear derailleur and a Judy TT fork. Not every shop has them but our LBS had two or three.

eman said:
I dont think they make a 4700...
its 4300, 4500 and 4900

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thats a 4600, not 4700. It goes 4100, 4300, 4500, 4600, 4900, then on to 6700.

The frame was made in the China, I do not know where it was assembled, but your bike shop has to do the final touches (put wheels on, bars, pedals, get everything working etc.)
And no, I do not think there is any quality difference with a bike made in China vs. the U.S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts