Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I want to purchase my first mountain bike, hardtail. I will mostly be riding on streets and trails. I am not sure what i should get as i have no clue what is good. I don't want to spend more than $600 and currently the bike i like is IBEX alpine 650. Anyways, any advice will be apriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Look at a Specilized hardrock pro disc, that would be my choice.

Go to your LBS and ask if you could test ride different bikes. In the end it is going to be you ridding the bike not us so find one that you like.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Go to several local bike shops in your area and test ride all the bikes in your price range. Find out what is comfortable and what's not. Things you like or don't. For example, rapid fire style shifters versus twisting grip style shifters. You may even get lucky and run across a bike that is last year's model for a discounted price. Don't be afraid to ask if they have any older models hiding the back, two of my local shops did and didn't hesitate to let me ride the bikes and throw me a price that was significantly lower than the current year's model. As was stated, buy a helmet. Wear it. Make sure it fits properly and is comfortable, otherwise you'll be tempted to throw it to the wayside.

Kris

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
At 600.00, I think you should go to a fair number of bike shops---but not to discern the miniscule differences between the various hard tails at this price point (honestly--they're all the same--except for different sizing they'll all feel and ride the same--unless your the princess and the pea). Getting all caught up in one brand over another creates pointless headaches the newbie (and oldbie) consumer just doesn't need.

No, The reason to check out and feel out alot of shops is because--for an entry level enthusiast-establishing a good relationship with a local shop that treats you well and honestly is critical to getting the most out of this fine sport. Seriously-pick a good shop to do business with-your long and short term mountain biking happiness will be greatly increased!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
SuperbMan said:
At 600.00, I think you should go to a fair number of bike shops---but not to discern the miniscule differences between the various hard tails at this price point (honestly--they're all the same--except for different sizing they'll all feel and ride the same--unless your the princess and the pea). Getting all caught up in one brand over another creates pointless headaches the newbie (and oldbie) consumer just doesn't need.

No, The reason to check out and feel out alot of shops is because--for an entry level enthusiast-establishing a good relationship with a local shop that treats you well and honestly is critical to getting the most out of this fine sport. Seriously-pick a good shop to do business with-your long and short term mountain biking happiness will be greatly increased!

Good luck.
I completely agree! Then test ride, test ride, test ride. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.