Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Glad you're eager to upgrade, and am sure the aftermarket guys are eager to help you out. My suggestion is to ride the bike and learn about it and, before you ask someone else what you need to do to change it, to offer some specifics on your bike other than that it is new and fs.

You might do some searches on this board when you narrow your list down to some specific thoughts...

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Lee said:
what would you guys suggest?
Lee, if you're still looking at either of the FSRxc bikes, maybe your better option is to take whatever money you're expecting to put towards upgrades and use it on buying a better spec'd bike. Aftermarket upgrading is almost always going to cost you more than buying the bike spec'd right from the start (there are some exceptions, but this isn't one of them).

The FSRxc bikes are great frames but the Specialized parts spec usually doesn't give you the best value for the money.

The Avid BB-5 and BB-7 brakes are great stoppers, but the Avid FR-5 levers that come with both bikes eliminate one of the key Avid adjustments: the Avid SpeedDial leverage adjustment.

I'm not particularly impressed with the square taper crankset that comes with the FSRxc Comp -- I'm sure it'll last you a good long time, but stiffer splined setups are the norm nowadays. And the Octalink crank on the Pro is a great OE version of last generation's LX and XT cranks, but the ES-30 bottom bracket they hide in the frame is less then impressive.

The Shimano 505 pedals that come with either bike -- well, they suck. I'd look for 520 pedals at minimum.

I don't know anything about the Manitou Splice fork. Do your homework. Keep in mind that other bikes in the $1500 range will get you a Manitou Black, which while not the greatest fork on the planet, is a solid player and a known entity.

Don't get me wrong -- neither of these bikes is bad, and taking either one straight to the trail without any upgrades will be a happy experience.

But if you're looking to upgrade right off the bat, I'd suggest you aren't looking at the right bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys

The only reason I'm looking at Specliazed bikes is because of the warranty and support they give

What other bike would you suggest in that price range ($1500)?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
The spec on This Bike is pretty solid for $100 more than the FSRxc Pro you're looking at.

I, of course, am biased, because I've been riding a dw-link Iron Horse Hollowpoint for the past two years, and I have my own MkIII frame which will be replacing it soon. The frames aren't as pretty as some of the Specialized frames I've seen over the past two years, but the dw-link suspension is superior, and the company (Iron Horse) has been very responsive.

Smaller companies often give a better parts spec for the money. Jamis is another example that comes to mind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good but the reason why I like Spec is because of the frame lifetime warranty

Iron Horse only gives a 1 yr on full suspensions

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
5 year Iron Horse warranty on their full suspension frames.

From their website:

Q: What is the warranty on Iron Horse Bicycles?
A: All Iron Horse Bicycles purchased new through an authorized dealer have a one year warranty on parts. This warranty covers manufacturers defects and does not cover wear items (tubes, tires, cables, housing, chains, etc.) or damages to parts caused by improper use, crashes, or improper set-up. All Iron Horse Bicycles also have a warranty on the frame.

Frame warranties are as follows:
Steel or Cromoly Hardtail - lifetime
Aluminum Hardtail and Cross Country Dual Suspension - 5 years from date of purchase
Downhill Racing and Freeride Dual Suspension Frames - 1 year from date of purchase

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoops my eyes browsed right to full suspension, sorry

I think I may be looking at the FSR XC Comp now 05 version and I can get it for $1200

is there anything in that price range besides a Marin Rock springs?

$1200/$1300

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.