Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any recomendations for my first mountian bike. First the vitals:
Weight: 240lbs
Height: 5'7"
Inseam: 27"

It has been at least 20 years since I have riden a bike, but I have been power walking from 5 to 10 miles a day for about 6 months. I would like a bike that is designed for dirt and gravel roads but would also be comfortable riding on paved streets. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
Hmm...

First thing I would do is find a local bike shop in your area. Avoid department and toy stores like the plague. This includes "sporting goods" chains as well. \

You want to go to a real bike shop.

Talk with the people at the bike shop and relay to them your needs. They will be able to give you all sorts of suggestions and even put you on the bikes they recommend. The only way you will find the right bike, is by riding them around and seeing which one feels the best to you.

It sounds to me like you probably would be best served on a hybrid bicycle of some sort. Doesn't sound like you are trying to tackle very technical terrain, so a hybrid may be your best bet.

Hybrids are bascially a recreational mountain bike with a more upright riding posture. The tires are usually a bit thinner and less treaded than a true mountain bike, but they have enough traction to handle light trail riding (gravel, crushed limestone, dirt, and smooth single/doubletrack.)

If you have been off the bike for 20 years, I think you will enjoy the upright riding position alot more than the forward-leaning position of a mountain bike.

Actually, you also may want to look into what is called a Comfort Bicycle as well. Trek has a series called the Navigator that is really nice, but all the big companies (Speciallized, Giant, Gary Fisher, etc) have their "Navigator" versions.

At any rate, these bikes are very fun to ride, but they will not be able to handle anything remotely aggressive. They will be great for bike paths and gravel roads however.

You will probably have the best time getting back into riding on one of these kind of bikes, but as always, head to a local bike shop and see for yourself.

Welcome back to cycling!

Pawn

·
Probably drunk right now
6,758 Posts
^^^I agree^^^

Pawndream said:
Hmm...

First thing I would do is find a local bike shop in your area. Avoid department and toy stores like the plague. This includes "sporting goods" chains as well. \

You want to go to a real bike shop.

Talk with the people at the bike shop and relay to them your needs. They will be able to give you all sorts of suggestions and even put you on the bikes they recommend. The only way you will find the right bike, is by riding them around and seeing which one feels the best to you.

It sounds to me like you probably would be best served on a hybrid bicycle of some sort. Doesn't sound like you are trying to tackle very technical terrain, so a hybrid may be your best bet.

Hybrids are bascially a recreational mountain bike with a more upright riding posture. The tires are usually a bit thinner and less treaded than a true mountain bike, but they have enough traction to handle light trail riding (gravel, crushed limestone, dirt, and smooth single/doubletrack.)

If you have been off the bike for 20 years, I think you will enjoy the upright riding position alot more than the forward-leaning position of a mountain bike.

Actually, you also may want to look into what is called a Comfort Bicycle as well. Trek has a series called the Navigator that is really nice, but all the big companies (Speciallized, Giant, Gary Fisher, etc) have their "Navigator" versions.

At any rate, these bikes are very fun to ride, but they will not be able to handle anything remotely aggressive. They will be great for bike paths and gravel roads however.

You will probably have the best time getting back into riding on one of these kind of bikes, but as always, head to a local bike shop and see for yourself.

Welcome back to cycling!

Pawn
I agree with Pawn. Good advice.

And again in line with Pawn, welcome back.

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.