Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After breaking a couple of department store bikes, I decided to build a bicycle myself (which I realized is as fun as riding one). So here's my set up, not quite sure how to categorize. I call it all mountain for the heck of it ;) Please point out if I could make improvements on parts.

Frame: Azonic DS-1
Front Suspension Fork: 2004 Marzocchi Z.1 Bomber FR - ETS
Cranksets: FSA Maximus ISIS with Bash Guard
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Gigapipe SL
Wheel (Rear/Front Hubs): Alex Supra BH 26'' Black/Disc only.
Front: 20mm Formula
Rear: Deore QR
Cassettes: 8speed
Tire: [TBA]
Brakes: Avid BB5; 160mm rotors
Front Derailleur: NA
Rear Derailleur: My old Shimano Altus
Handlebar: My old stock handlebar
Headsets: FSA Pig DH Pro
Stem: My old stem
Grip: Old stock grip
Pedal: My old stock pedal
Seat Post: My old seat post
Saddle: Old stock saddle

I haven't finished building it yet and will come back w/ photos when I do. I've spent about $400 for everything I had to buy. As the budget amount to $450, I begin to wonder, should I have just bought a nice new entrance bike? Hmm.. damn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great idea for building up your own bike!

I think one of the biggest replacements should be the rear derailleur. You should drop on at least a Deore. Or go via ebay. There are plenty of a few-years-old XTR and XT derailleurs that won't break the bank but will provide you with far superior shifts. With that, I'd suggest upgrading whatever shifters you have.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
yee0890 said:
. As the budget amount to $450, I begin to wonder, should I have just bought a nice new entrance bike? Hmm.. damn.
Heck no, you can't get that fork and disks on a $400 bike. You done good!:thumbsup:

I'd spring for a new seat, but if your bum is happy with what ya got then stick with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.