Sony Action Cam - Underwater Case In Hand

I just got the Sony Action Cam in for a POV camera shootout we're working on. Since I'm sure a lot of you are curious about it, I decided to bust out a quick unboxing intro video along with some photos. What makes the Sony Action Cam different from other POV cameras is the Carl Zeiss lens and built-in SteadyShot image stabilization. Also, unlike most POV camera manufacturers, Sony has a long history of making cameras, lenses, and camcorders and that should give them a leg up on the competition. They've also been kicking some serious ass in the camera world over the past few years and it seems like when they decide to do something, they do it right. That said, they're up against some serious competition right now. GoPro is a monster and they hit it out of the park with their new Hero3 Black POV camera -on paper they did, anyway. We'll see how things really shake out when we can get some back-to-back video footage to compare. In the meantime, check out the Sony Action Cam unboxing video below for a hands-on overview of the camera.

Sony Action Cam POV Camera Intro Video

The Sony Action Cam can record 1080p full HD video at 30 frames per second and 720p HD video at 30, 60 and 120 frames per second. It can shoot still photos at set intervals for time-lapse video and the angle of view can be set for either 170-degrees or 120 degrees. Turning on the SteadyShot image stabilization limits the angle-of-view to 120-degrees, which probably makes it unusable for most mountain bike POV filming. The Action Cam comes with an underwater housing that can be submerged to 197 feet (60m). There's a Wi-Fi model and a non-Wi-Fi model. We have the Wi-Fi version, which allows you to transfer photos and videos wirelessly as well as use your mobile device as a wireless remote control once you install Sony's PlayMemories Mobile app (iOS or Android) on your Smart Phone or tablet.

I'm looking forward to getting the Sony Action Cam, as well as the other cameras we have in-house, on the bike for some real testing. I think we've got a solid plan for a good real world test that will show how each camera performs in various situations. Of course, we'd love to have your feedback and suggestions so feel free to let us know what you'd like to see in the comments section after the article.

For more information on the Sony Action Cam, visit the official Sony Action Cam Web page:

Sony Action Cam Web Page >>