Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Im new here and have been riding for about a year now.
My question is what types of food should I be packing for a 3-4 hour, 34 mile long bike ride.
I have done up to 18miles in 2 hours but havent broken the 3 hour time frame yet.
This ride will be on the Creeper Trail in southwest VA so its not a rough trail by any standards and I am in good enough shape to complete it without worries of that.

Right now I am thinking that bananas and peanut butter crackers would be easy to pack and have the energy that i need.

Im not a big fan of the gel products but the last ones i tried were 4 or 5 years ago when i was a big time xc runner so maybe they have improved with time.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
For many, many years I would ride with nothing but clif bars for nourishment. Real food on a long ride is nice. And I am really sick of clif bars...

My last 2 long rides..
Ham sammich and a rice-krispy bar (6hr)
Peppered turkey & Munster pita (4hr)

Hmmm... got a long one planned for Friday... I should go shopping.

I don't like PB for long rides. Takes too much liquid to process the PB.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I just discovered soft pretzels. I try to keep a bunch in my freezer. I wrap a couple frozen pretzels in wax paper and stuff them in my pack. They'll be thawed and tasty by the time you need them. I keep an extra in my car for the ride home. Good carb density, and the salt doesn't hurt either, after all that sweating.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
EHCRain said:
Thanks for the quick replies, looks like my trail diet needed some work.
If you haven't done a ride that long, you might want a little more substantial than PB crackers and bananannannas.

With hard / long riding, essentially if you start feeling hungry - it's too late. You should have eaten sooner. If you do start feeling hungry, stop and eat something immediately. Don't keep pedaling thinking it'll go away. Down that road lies madness. :)

Trail nutrition is tricky. It takes a while to figure out how much and what kinds of food will go down easy, fuel you, and the hardest part - taste good.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I'm with you...

years of Clif bars, now it's PB&J sandwiches and Gatorade on the side, water in the C-bak.

I notice almost immediate energy ,about 20 minutes after eating the PB, which Clif never gave me. Everybody's different. Experiment.

I find on a long, hard ride, I have to eat before I get hungry or bonk, just like with water...drink before you get thirsty.

Good riding, Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luckily the trail has a few restaurants near by and ill be riding through those around lunch time so might stop for a quick bite
i ran and did team sports for long enough to know what will go down easy and keep me going the problem will be carrying it with me. My hydration pack doesnt have much space

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Dang, I do a four hour ride and just take a regular sandwich-sized zip lock bag filled with trail mix. I will ride with a watered down sports drink in my hydration pack when riding at home in Florida, but just did a 4 hour ride in North Carolina with just water because the temperature was in the high 60s, low 70s during the ride.

Bananas are good, but if you are lucking for a lot of calories and energy go with trail mix and snickers bars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.