Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess you could say I was the "brains" behind the event and Derelect the only one buying what I was selling.

The Plan?

Start from Indigenous Peoples Valley School in Walnut Creek.
Pedal through Shell Ridge
Pedal Up BBQ Terrace ( the hill that made me quit smoking)
Pedal to the top of Mnt Diablo

After work

On a week night

95 degree temps.

In an estimated 2 and 1/2 hours.

Yeah right.:nono:

We made it through Shell Ridge alright - other than Derelict kicking my arse, all was well.

The rolling hills to the bottom of BBQ Terrace served as a great warm up to our evenings' Alpe D'huez.

BBQ terrace weeded out the week. I think I saw something like 400 squirrels turning tale and heading down hill in fear of the increasing, cumulative gravitational pull. Or something like that.

We made it to the junction of Northgate and Southgate Roads by 7:30. By this point I had already gone through an 80 oz Camelbak, the majority of a bottle of Gatorade and enough Power Food to fuel California for the next milenia. Did I mention it was hot?

The last 5 miles hurt. That's really all that needs to be said.

The last 100 yards were sheer terror. My legs screaming so loudly in pain, my girlfriend heard them back at home. Or so she says.

Not too many critters were hanging out at the top. We ate some more power food. Harassed a varmit. Tried not to vomit. And finally saddled back up and blasted down Devil Mountain at warp speed (well, atleast double the speed limit).

The ride back down BBQ Terrace was lit sufficently well by our closest star. My Hope mono mini's were doing there best impression of a SETI signalling center.

The ride back through the bedammed creek trail was shadowy and bleak - intermixed by dousings from 5-10 creek crossings. Can you say Giardia?

Climb back up into Shell ridge. It's dark now. I don't remember hitting so many rocks the last time I rode this climb? I can't even see what I'm hitting! WTF?

Cross the gate back into Shell Ridge.

The owels are out hunting. Do they think we're dinner?

I've never had as tough a time riding Shell Ridge fire roads - except for maybe my very first ride back in high school. And not even then!

If you think Shell Ridge fire roads are easy, just try navigating all the ruts in the dark!

More owls surfing the skys, wondering if we're edible.

Large bullfrogs serve to protect us from the flying fellons, in the most altruistic manner.

Back at the cars by 9:30. It's completely dark and 3 hours 33 minutes after our start time.

I think I might have underestimated a the lenth of this ride just a little bit?:madman:

Attachments

·
gimme friction
1,124 Posts
Great photos! Despit the pain, it looks like the sunset was bee-yoo-tee-full.

Good thing Ed brought his climbing bike...or you really woulda been left in the dust! Were Ed's nipples getting chafed or something?

Good on both of ya for getting out last night.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Here I was thinking I was going to bolt home get the bike and meet you guys. Glad I stayed in the AC office.

You guys are studs!!

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LJ0913 said:
Here I was thinking I was going to bolt home get the bike and meet you guys. Glad I stayed in the AC office.

You guys are studs!!
Ed is a hammer. I Think next time I'm going to fill his tires with water!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I was thinking about yoots while riding my roadie during the same time. I think my ride was a bit cooler than yours.

jps

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Sorry I missed it

I was unable to get out of dinner in the city. Had I known what you were doing, we could have met you for a beer in the parking lot on our way home.

That's kind of a hard ride. Did you go up that fireroad from above the ranger station, or stay on the pavement?

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EBrider said:
I was unable to get out of dinner in the city. Had I known what you were doing, we could have met you for a beer in the parking lot on our way home.

That's kind of a hard ride. Did you go up that fireroad from above the ranger station, or stay on the pavement?
We stayed on the pavement after the junction - was getting close to dark and the dirt might have added another 10 minutes ride time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts