Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread last week asking what I should buy and you guys steered me towards a full suspension 29er and told me about the deal chris at http://bigkahunabicycles.com/ was running on the 08 RIPs in the classifieds. I jumped on it and the bike showed up on Tuesday. That was a great transaction BTW, as the bike pretty much shipped the same day I called him and the price was outstanding... Bike was well packed and went together easily.

The weather was crappy and I had Christmas shopping and other crap to do, so today was my first time out on the trails with it. There is simply no way for me to describe how much better this bike is than what I had before. It feels like I'm cheating or something. I had heard that 29ers were great and all, but this thing far exceeded all my expectations. I was able to take lines that simply were not possible (at least for me) on my old school 26" bike. Almost every aspect of the bike is better than what I was used to. It rolls with much less resistance on all surfaces (with less tire pressure), traction is greatly improved (I was able to climb things that just left me spinning on my HT 26" bike. The bike feels like it just wants to stand up an balance on its own at slow speeds. My overall speed was probably almost double of what I could do on my 26". The bike is doing so much of the work that I can just pedal instead of focusing on muscling the bike to the reasonable line. The comfort of the riding position allowed me to ride twice as long with no discomfort. The bike is heavier than what I'm used to, but it does everything so well that it is like a drop of negativity in an ocean of good stuff.

I'm no bike expert of any sort, but I would be willing to bet a significant amount of money that this 29" thing is going to become the norm rather than the exception. It is simply that much better for the masses. I expected something better, but not this much better. I know the rider makes the bike, but this bike made me 3x a better rider in one day (no kidding). And even more important, I had 2x more fun!! Granted, I was riding on state of the art 1993 technology before and the bar was pretty low.

Anyway, I just wanted to say 29ers rule and I absolutely love my RIP 9. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The guys at the LBS had me a bit confused about what the right choice was for me :nono: , so I'm glad I found this forum and stuck with my initial plan of a full suspension 29er. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
The Kool-aid is sweet

brightsky said:
I posted a thread last week asking what I should buy and you guys steered me towards a full suspension 29er and told me about the deal chris at http://bigkahunabicycles.com/ was running on the 08 RIPs in the classifieds. I jumped on it and the bike showed up on Tuesday. That was a great transaction BTW, as the bike pretty much shipped the same day I called him and the price was outstanding... Bike was well packed and went together easily.

The weather was crappy and I had Christmas shopping and other crap to do, so today was my first time out on the trails with it. There is simply no way for me to describe how much better this bike is than what I had before. It feels like I'm cheating or something. I had heard that 29ers were great and all, but this thing far exceeded all my expectations. I was able to take lines that simply were not possible (at least for me) on my old school 26" bike. Almost every aspect of the bike is better than what I was used to. It rolls with much less resistance on all surfaces (with less tire pressure), traction is greatly improved (I was able to climb things that just left me spinning on my HT 26" bike. The bike feels like it just wants to stand up an balance on its own at slow speeds. My overall speed was probably almost double of what I could do on my 26". The bike is doing so much of the work that I can just pedal instead of focusing on muscling the bike to the reasonable line. The comfort of the riding position allowed me to ride twice as long with no discomfort. The bike is heavier than what I'm used to, but it does everything so well that it is like a drop of negativity in an ocean of good stuff.

I'm no bike expert of any sort, but I would be willing to bet a significant amount of money that this 29" thing is going to become the norm rather than the exception. It is simply that much better for the masses. I expected something better, but not this much better. I know the rider makes the bike, but this bike made me 3x a better rider in one day (no kidding). And even more important, I had 2x more fun!! Granted, I was riding on state of the art 1993 technology before and the bar was pretty low.

Anyway, I just wanted to say 29ers rule and I absolutely love my RIP 9. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The guys at the LBS had me a bit confused about what the right choice was for me :nono: , so I'm glad I found this forum and stuck with my initial plan of a full suspension 29er. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have had an eerily similar conversation 2 months ago after I bought my Rip9, this bike changed everything. I can blast over everything and I don't have to pick a line going downhill, it made Mtn. biking fun again:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Congrats, glad you got that great deal from big Kahuna and that you now know what you were missing out on - Welcome to the Future ;) Oh and just be careful, those things (RIP9) like to lead you down paths that may absolutely give you some serious pucker factor, only to have you exit with an uber wide grin, un-scathed and asking to do it again and again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PanFry said:
Welcome to the Dark Side.

Please enjoy the RIP9 it is a Killer Bike!

Post some Ride Pics when you get a sec.

Take Care,

PF
I did take a few pics since I knew the bike would not look this prefect again. But then I got distracted riding and forgot to take more.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
A few quick things...

brightsky said:
I did take a few pics since I knew the bike would not look this prefect again. But then I got distracted riding and forgot to take more.
1. Congrats Again! What a Great Bike.
2. Lose the Wheel Reflectors
3. As a suggestion to keep you happy & safe I would HIGHLY recommend the Ergon GE1 http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/ge1.html
However, the '08 model is fantastic as well and won't slip like the Weirwolf Grips on there now. Not to mention the comforts and kindness to the ulnar nerve (dead fingers) that they provide. Google them and don't pay more than $28.

Take Care & Enjoy!

PF

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I have been sucessfully assimilated as well, though I still have all sorts of 26er stuff I need to get rid of. Congrats and I'm glad you didn't listen to your LBS. Some LBSs steer you towards what they make the biggest margin on....and remember, Big Kahuna is someone's LBS so there are really good ones who actually give good deals.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Metro-sexual

1 red salsa seat clamp
2 red head stack spacers
3 paint your rotor legs red
4 get some Lizard skin grips with red lock rings( They can have custom lazer etched words put on them for an extra 3 dollars)
5 loose the big chain ring and get a red bash guard
All of this will match the ( 9 ) on the top tube and also match the red rocker arm brace
as well as pick up the red nipples on your wheels

Bling it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
brightsky said:
I expected something better, but not this much better.
Congats on your new RIP9! I also bought an '08 RIP9 in October. I got a great deal on one at my LBS. I was able to get about 100 miles of riding in before our MN winter set in. I read your original post and agree with your experience 100%! I had been researching and trying out 29ers for a few years and finally had the oppurtunity to upgrade this year. I'm 6'3" and always felt like a circus bear on one of those small bikes when I rode my 26er, so I knew I'd like a 29er, but I was totally blown away once I bought the RIP and had a couple of rides to get used to it. I quickly realized all of the obvious advantages you read about like better rolling over terrain and obstacles, faster ride, better grip due to increased surface area on the trails, a better fit for taller guys, etc., but what really impressed me was how little the reported negatives of 29ers affected my rides. I always read about how 29ers handle worse in tight areas, accelerate slower, and are not as nimble and all of these are slightly true, but not nearly as pronounced as I thought. My learning curve was very short and now I hardly notice any disadvantage to the 29er and only notice all of the great advantages of the 29er. I totally love the ride of this bike and will never go back to a 26er (unless I buy a Surly Pugsley for winter snow riding). The fun factor of this bike is amazing! I truly believe that 29ers are superior to 26ers if you are a taller rider. After all the research, I knew I'd love 29ers, but I never would have guessed how much! I'm glad I was able to finally drink the Kool Aid!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.