Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It lives.
I have to tighten the spokes - but SA 5 speed - 2 rings up front - Looking forward to less hassle and no mud/weed induced shifts.

923c8dc4-94af-4717-b419-56286fb33652.jpeg

I should have it on bike by next week - school starts tomorrow... work!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It works!!

Due to the pandemic and a spring break where I could not go anywhere - I have the wheel on the bike!!!

I went on a 15 mile ride Sunday (1/2 beach 1/2 bike path) and I have never been happier - It works!!

STURMEY ARCHER RX-RK5 5-SP DISC HUB - Surley Pugsley - Framed rim and tire. I cannot notice the drag at all - I am rather strong. After about 20 minutes of riding it skipped in 3rd - - put it in second gear and realigned the yellow lines and never had a problem after that.

It took 10 years of wanting to build this to finally getting it done. IMG_20200328_183511.jpg

Still want to make a track-lo-cross fixed gear - and I do have a fisher frame sitting around...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't see 2 rings up front or a tensioner. Did you skip that? Personally one of the things I like about an IGH is being able to set it up single-speed style. I've got an 8 speed on my Troll, and sometimes I wouldn't mind more gears, but I don't want to add the hassle of a derrailer.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not set the dingle yet - I works well single speed style.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have not set the dingle yet - I works well single speed style.
When I hear dingle, I think manual shifting with no derrailer. Is that the plan? Just curious because that's my plan with my 2 speed hub. Current heating is fine on the road, but lousy on climbs. I want to set up a new bike with two chainrings and put a 2nd cog on the hub. Either way, nice looking wheel. I love my 8 speed wheels. I might make a single spotted set, but I don't know if I'll ever make a cassette style wheel.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Vassago Jabberwocky that has a 3 X 9 on it (old XT friction shifters) and I have the move the chain by hand (stop and move it up) and foot (down) when riding.
I love that bike soooo much - and even more now that my wife loves riding it!!

She just leaves the chain in the middle ring.

The rear cog on the SA rear hub would only take a single speed (bmx) chain. So I don't have a tensioner that will work unless i put a few shims on an old derailleur for it to clear the master link.

But with the old derailleur and the wheel all the way forward - it works between 22 and the 32.

I would only use the granny gear if I am in the mountains in adventure mode - we go to June Lake CA at lot and there are so many trails to explore and on the pugs with a good climbing gear - the world is there to explore.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stable

IMG_20200418_150935.jpg

·
Registered
618 Posts
That's quite a collection. Don't know if the five speed is the same, but I'm using a Shimano cog on my 2 speed Sturmey Archer hub, so I can still use an 8 speed chain. That would let you use a derrailer if that's what you want to do. My hub has a little dust cap /spacer thing where the cog goes, and I'm pretty sure I can pop that off and put a 2nd cog, one dished , one not, which, combined with two chainrings up front, should let me swap two gearing choices. That's my plan, at least.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Major stress on hub..

Ok updates -

I have been riding the bike around a bit and took it on a major adventure today in June Lake CA.

Rode from the pumice mine road back to our condo down canyon (about 6 miles is all - but on some deep pumice 4x4 trails - and some really amazing singletrack around the ski area.

Some grunty climbs (the pugs has traction). I did not need the small cog - but the hub works. Great - well - there is a clunk/crunch from time to time I cannot pinpoint.. I did a very high torque / hi watt short climb on it and it did not explode. We are good to go.

I will try to get into the granny gear and give an update on the clunking.

I had to add longer pulley bolts in the rear derailleur with some spacers to make it clear the bmx chain on the bike. the single speed chain was all I could find that would fit on the cog that came with the hub.

IMG_20200720_172417 - Edited.jpg IMG_20200720_172432 - Edited (1).jpg IMG_20200720_172429 - Edited.jpg

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and

Yes that is a wine cork keeping the rear derailleur from clunking the cable boss for the hub. IMG_20200720_172423.jpg

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update - the small cog has a wicked amount of chain suck - and is not usable.
I am plan now on going back to no derailleurs and putting a 22 or 24 (if I can find one) cog on the back.

We did a huge climb day today and I was good without the dingle. Tired as heck - but fun!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No luck finding the 22 or 24 in stock anywhere around here - well - I only looked at one shop where I have a store credit..

I dug through the parts bins - and found an old Shimano Freewheel that I had taken apart and the top cog (25) is just a bit smaller than the SA cog..

I dug through the tool drawer (I really need to organize my crap and not have a general drawer for "drills") and found my grinder bit for my dremel tool.

15 minutes later and presto it fits - I clamped the SA 18 cog on the 25 and then dremelled out the metal leaving the 3 splines to fit the hub. It took a few more turns on the wheel to get it to fit - but it is snug - and the lock-ring snapped in place - no play in the cog.

I will take a photo when I get it back on the bike tomorrow afternoon. I should have a good climbing gear - but no top end - but on the Pugsley... fast is not the goal.

Where we are going - we don't need roads.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One small update - I had to make a spacer - the shimano cog is thinner than the SA - so now it is installed - I have to pull a link out of the chain and will have pictures soon.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First ride - 5th gear is now the ride around gear. Good spin and you are going about 10 mph. 4th and 3rd are good for hilly roads - Not going to win a triathlon with this setup....

However - first is awesomely low! My son (14, 5'9" 123lbs) climbed some solid hills with it yesterday no problems. Hub seems to be holding his torque okay.

I will take it off road soon and see what it can take as far as power input (I am 6' -and 229 lbs and I like lifting heavy things).

Supper happy about it right now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did a 8 mile beach ride - soft sand (and I found a gopro) - and everything worked great!!

Aside from dropping the chain a few times - I think I have it lined up now. The narrow cog and wide chain. I will put on a narrow chain and see if that helps when I have a chance.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did a great explore ride this morning (what this bike was made for). Mission Trails on some of the very old fire-roads out of Oak Canyon before you get to the military sign.

Saw a great rattle snake - and tons of dear tracks and fresh sigh (poo) and got a slow leak and now i have a big fat front flat.

Bike was perfect - there is a really steep climb out of Oak back to the Grasslands. I have cleaned it from time to time on the Pugsley - I was going good and the chain popped off again. I did some hard sprints earlier - and thought the adjustments were good enough. Not so.
I think that under high torque - the bend in the cog, and flex in the frame and the thinner cog and the thicker chain - all lead up to it popping off

SO

1) I could put the small 1/8 cog back on and run the 22 in the front. (I have not done the math to see ratios)
2) I could put a 9 speed chain on and tighten things up that way.
3) I could put a coaster brake hub on the thing and forget about it.

What do you all think I should do to fix above mentioned problem...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just did the math -
22 X 18 (26.5 gear inches in 3)
is the same as
32 X 26 (26.6 gear inches in 3).

Might solve the chain falling off problem..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a quick update - I bought new tires and am waiting for them to come in Surly Lou on the front and Surly Nate on the back.

The 22 X 18 works amazing!!

I only got about 3 blocks before my rear tire blew out - 3 year old tubes, and a fat tire with shot sidewalls on the rear...

I had to use the derailleur as a chain tensioner - if it works for a few rides I will break the chain and get it spot on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First Ride

New tires (Lou in the front and Nate in the rear) tubeless on the front - and frustration and cussing - could not get the rear tire to seal - used a tube on the rear.

3 mile morning ride and it all seems to work great - no drag - no skipping - no hassle - easy shifting...

Okay will take it off road this weekend - and see how it deals with full power.

Weinert

1 - 20 of 26 Posts