Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post, and I want to thank those that are kind enough to read my post and offer some guidance on this big investment for me. I'm 5'11" and 180lb. I'm open to any suggestions of other bike recommendations, or an assessment of my current options.

Hi I'm looking to get back into mountain biking. I'm looking for a good entry level mountain bike that will survive the weekends on Long Island bike trails, and serve some small purpose for on campus commuting. I'm a newb and don't expect to be bombing any large drops (<4'). I'm looking to spend $300-600 dollars after tax on a bike. I believe a base hardtail 29er will suite my needs based on my reading. Based on what I have seen at my LBS I will have to pay msrp ~550 on a 2014 GT timberline 1.0 which looks nice but doesn't have the best components at that price. I can instead get the northrock XC6 and tune everything myself with the benefit of returning to costco a month down the line if I'm not happy. The third option is a specialized m4 s-works used on CL for $600, I don't know the year or quality. And the last option which looks like the biggest gamble, is bikesdirect.com.

It seems that costco would provide the most worry free purchase. While the LBS offers the most expensive but complete experience? And of course I have no idea about the CL listing and bikesdirect.com. I feel purchasing from the last two will provide me a bike that will provide me little return on my investment if I decide the bike isn't for me.

these are the links to the 3 bikes I'm interested in now
$550 @ LBS
GT bike Timberline 1.0 NEW 2014

$370 @ costco Lifetime return policy
Northrock Bike - Mountain Bike - xc6

$600 @ CL used I'm guessing 5 years old. Looks like a 26" FS have no idea though
specialized fs M4 S-Works mountain bike

IDK what I would get from bikesdirect that would be comparable, the inflated compare to prices, lack of name brands (and resale value), and concern over manufacturers warranty are off putting.

thanks you very much for your help in selecting the right bike for me. And for anyone in Long Island please recommend another shop, if the prices this shop is offering are unfair.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks eb, if I install it or have my LBS install it do I get a warranty on parts from manufacturer? Or is that not important with these quality parts?

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Thanks eb, if I install it or have my LBS install it do I get a warranty on parts from manufacturer? Or is that not important with these quality parts?
Bikes come in a box with a small amount of assembly required.
You can do the final installation when it is shipped to you very easily without losing any warranty coverage.
There are some vids of Bike Direct assemblies on YT.
A video of mtb headset install will be useful.
You need to know this stuff for on trail situations and everything is easy but you have to put in a half hour per component of effort.
You need a multi-tool. 600 is fair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought one of these last year off eBay, got a unbelievable price. Came with a letter stating it must be assembled at a LBS to be covered under the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
There are receipt generators online, and you can put in a fake bike shop, and the model of the bike, price for setup, date, etc.. I use that a lot for warranty claims. I would never pay an lbs to set a bike up. That's just throwing money away.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thank you very much. the eBay page says it must be assembled by a LBS, I'll give the receipt generator a try. LBS was asking $80 for assembly :).It looks like I need the 19" (I'm 5'10"), how much should the 19" go for, it seems like it runs more expensive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I checked for you on sellers feedback what he sold 19'' recently for.
-$600 - Apr 22
-$472 - Apr 17
-$592 - Apr 16
-$550 - Apr 13
-$585 - Apr 08
-$564 - Apr 07
-$477 - Mar 05

If you are bidding, set what you have in mind to pay the most and bid in the last 10sec, if you are not sure in your internet connection bid in last 20-30sec.
Don't bid before, it just bumps the price up, and shows other buyers there's more interest.
If you bid in last few sec you might confuse bidder who bid too low and he has no time to react, remember after you input price and click BID it will transfer you to page to click Confirm, so two bid/confirm to input your bid.

If the auction went too high just wait for him to put next auction on, it seems he does it every few days.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks pol4k. I'll lowball the 17" and give it a try. If I lose I'll go for the 19" which is up in a few days. I believe I sit in the middle and can ride both comfortably. Haven't had any long demos though. I used a site to measure and it says the bike has to have a stand over height range of 28" virtual tube length 24" 9" stem length saddle handlebar 53cm. I have a 31" inseam and am 5'10". Some threads suggest choosing the smaller frame on a 29er. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 5'10 inseam 30, went with the 17. Fits perfectly and I was kinda in the same boat between the 17 & 19. Honestly I'm glad I went with the 17, 19 might have been a tad big for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts