Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I am about to purchase my first FS and was looking to see if anyone had any advice on anything else I should look at. Right now I have a GF Tassajara. I am 5'6" and weigh 135. I was looking for something that will do alittle bit of everything mainly trails and some light freeride, drops up to maybe 3-4' or so. Oh and it has to climb well and cost under $2000.

So far I have looked at and test driven:

Kona Dawg- a little bit too heavy for me
Giant Trance 2- It was ok, but for that price (1950) it wasnt good enough feeling and I am not fond of the rapid rise thing
GF Cake 3- felt kind of akward because of the longer wheelbase

I tried out the Kona Kikapu at my LBS as well, it felt great and they said they could order me the deluxe (in red not the ugly cream) which is the one I would get if I go with the Kik.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to look at? I know fit is the most important and I am pretty much sold on the Kikapu but I want to make sure that there isnt anything better out there before putting down $1700.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a specialized enduro 130. Ive only ridden it once but I was very impressed. They only thing I dont like about it is the fork, It didnt feel to good to me, However Im kinda heavy..... 230lbs. Other than that it performed great.

·
3 on the tree
205 Posts
Yeti 575 Enduro

Pretty sweet trail bike - Fox suspension front & rear, nearly 6" of travel that comes in around 30 lbs. Tasty parts mix. Check the spec @ yeticycles.com. Can be bought for under $2k, just ask around the Yeti board.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Second the Yeti 575

scubaklook said:
I was looking for something that will do alittle bit of everything mainly trails and some light freeride, drops up to maybe 3-4' or so. Oh and it has to climb well and cost under $2000.
The Kikapu is not going to be suitable for the "light freeride" bit. It's definitely more of a pure XC machine. I'd second the Yeti 575 suggestion for a more complete all-rounder. The Prophet was a good suggestion too, but I personally prefer the Yeti. Both are relatively light, yet have long travel suspension for the rough trails and hairy descents, where the Kikapu would be in big trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.