Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be looking to purchase my first fs bike after the 2005 release. I have some relation that works in a shop and can get me some killer deals on Haro and Marin, so I guess I have narowed it down to these two manufactures. My question is I am looking for something that works well on the singletrack since that is mostly what we have around here. However, we do make it to the mountains a couple times a year so I need something that can stand up to some mild to moderate freeriding. I currently have a Haro escape 8.2 and like the sturdy frame but fell like it is just not cut out for a good trailbike. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated. Oh, due to the discount I can get on these bikes money is not a big issue. I do not know if it would really be worth someone of my limited experience to get a top of the line bike right now though. Thanks

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Marin Wolf Ridge

There are very few bikes that can equal the Marin Wolf Ridge in performance. Looks could be a factor, it's not a classical looking bike. But it's got top performance from a very advanced design and a high quality wheel and component build. Get a test ride.

- ray

·
Registered
90 Posts
Marin Mount Vision

Look at the Mount Vision. You get a bike that climbs as well as any bike on the market and descends like a 6" trailbike, and a bulletproof spec. We have mostly singletrack in our area as weel and go to Moab and Coloarado a couple of times a year and the Marin's do a great job there as well.

The MSRP is around $2500 but you should be able to pickup for under $2K now that the '05's are on the way.

Here's a link to the specs:

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_04_mountvision.html

Make sure you get the Quad-Link suspension which was introduced in 2003. Prior to that was the single-pivot design which was ok bu the Quad-Link is incredible.

Best of luck on your decision.

Lance

·
Lazy People Suck
771 Posts
You really can't go wrong

Both Haro and Marin make good solid bikes for the money. The Marin Quad Link is a good design and Haro tends to rely upon tried and true single pivot which has its positives and negatives, but is executed as well as anyone by Haro. I also believe one of the Haro FS models is an Intense Tracer knockoff that would make an excellent bike as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haro rocks, it's all I'll own anymore. Currently I have a Werx XLS. Honestly I don't think you need a 6" travel bike for mostly singletrack, although Haro has that, and even has the Werx 7 for 2005. You'll get left behind with a heavier and bigger travel bike unless you're an extremely strong rider. I would recommend waiting and getting a 2005 Haro Werx 5. It is 4.5" travel front and rear, supposed to be really light for what it is although they haven't published exact weights yet, really good looking silver paint, 2.2" WTB tires, WTB seat, hydroformed top tube with really reinforced head tube, XTR rear derailleur, integrated 2 piece TruVativ bottom bracket and crankset, XC-2 wheelset, Manitou Minute fork, the new really light Avid hydro discs... all for an MSRP of $2,400. I saw a picture of it in the new catalog a week ago or so. Should be an awesome bike. If I didn't have my Werx XLS, I'd get one. I considered selling the XLS and getting one, but I dunno, it's crazy fast and light. Hate to let go of something that "werx" so well. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry I am going to steal this thread. I work for a shop, and can get both Haro and Marin cheap. I have been checking out the Werx 7 and Werx 5. I just can't choose which one to get. I like to ride mostly singletrack, and love going downhill. Since you own a werx from this year I was hoping to get some advice. I would ask the guys in my shop but they all jump a lot more than I do. I am just getting in to that.

thor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, when you all refer to the werx 5 and 7 are you really talking about the R5 and R7 in the XLS series. On the website the only bikes I see in the werx series are the XLS and the EXT.

·
Registered
81 Posts
butters said:
Hey, when you all refer to the werx 5 and 7 are you really talking about the R5 and R7 in the XLS series. On the website the only bikes I see in the werx series are the XLS and the EXT.
The website does not reflect the new models being released for the 2005 model year. They are bringing out a Werx 5 (this years Werx XLS) and a Werx 7 (this years Werx EXT). Since I work at a shop, I was referring to next years catalogue.

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
derby said:
There are very few bikes that can equal the Marin Wolf Ridge in performance. Looks could be a factor, it's not a classical looking bike. But it's got top performance from a very advanced design and a high quality wheel and component build. Get a test ride.

- ray
Hi Ray,

I like Marins and can verify the brand from own experience with their single-pivots, but the QUAD TARA design does have quite a high leverage ratio at it's longest travel setting (3.5:1) and combined with a falling rate design may blow through it's travel too quickly on heavy hits...Also the head angle becomes quite steep (71) at the 6" setting, just when you want it slackest.
And how do you change the travel on the trail without resetting the sag? (Obviously you need to carry a pump).

You've ridden the bike, what's your comments?

Adrian

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Haggis said:
Hi Ray,

I like Marins and can verify the brand from own experience with their single-pivots, but the QUAD TARA design does have quite a high leverage ratio at it's longest travel setting (3.5:1) and combined with a falling rate design may blow through it's travel too quickly on heavy hits...Also the head angle becomes quite steep (71) at the 6" setting, just when you want it slackest.
And how do you change the travel on the trail without resetting the sag? (Obviously you need to carry a pump).

You've ridden the bike, what's your comments?

Adrian
The '04 Wolf Ridge has a Talas fork adjusutable from 80 - 125(?)mm. I found that with the fork at near 5 inches the handling was pretty slack and forgiving for steep drops, high speed, and very rough terrain. I think the rear shock is a 2 inch stroke so that would be a 3/1 rate in the 6 inch adjustment, the falling rate in the 6 inch mode matches the air shock very well. It shouldn't be a problem with reliability, it's rare for Fox air shocks to blow up from heavy use, but it's possible. The demo on the bike gave me the impression that it was quite strong and flex free for it's weight. Marin has good warrantee support, but maybe check first if the intended use is for big air time.

The travel adjustment does not need sag reset. The shock leverage changes from rising rate in 4 inch with less leverage and a 13 inch BB height, to falling rate in 6 inch with great leverage and compliance, deeper sag and higher BB. It's an impressive ride, no bob when seated and pedaling hard on smooth surfaces, and no feel of pedal kickback when climbing through sharp rocky terrain. Frame only with Float-R is under $900. I'd get one over any other 4 to 6 inch travel bike available now for trail riding except the Switchblade Talas/Talas (if I could afford another bike). I'd probably test it with a 5th Element or coil Swinger to see if it would work too since it requires a progressive compressing shock.

- ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.