Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I just moved to Phoenix from Chicago 2 weeks ago and have finally gotten settled in enough to realize that I wont be doing much summer riding in Phoenix until I either get used to the heat or get some lights for night riding.

Since I do not start my new job until next week I figured I would head north and do some playing in Flagstaff while I have time, but having never riden there, would appreciate some advice. I went to Slippery Pig last week and picked up the new Cosmic Ray guide book, so thats basically what I am going off.

From the looks of the book, either the Dry Lake trails or the Sunset loop would be fine with my my riding style, although probably not with my preferred bike, a 43lb Transition Dirtbag with a 8" 888. I also have a Banshee Morphine hardtail with a 7" fork, but its a SS and I primarly used it for urban riding. I have done some 30-50 mile epic rides on Dirtbag last year in Moab and Durango so I really dont have a problem pedaling the big bike uphill. I am just looking for some trails that will have some sort of payoff for the effort of lugging it to the top.

Either of these trails good fun? Any other recommendations? I know there is some great "secret" trails up in Flagstaff, but I am not worried about going looking for them, they are usually best when shown to you or stumbled upon.

I also know alot of the forest up there has been closed due to the fires, so any news on whats open and whats not would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

·
3,049 Posts
The Coconino National Forest was opened yesterday, so you should be fine, unless something changes.

I have NO experience with your sort of bike ( I ride a 22 lb rigid SS), but the trails in the Shultz creek area are pretty awesome. I don't believe Cosmic Ray covers the stuff north of SC, but there is a ton of great stuff not on the maps! For much of it you can ride up a fire road, and then hit at least several miles of downhill and traversing singletrack. Nothing to crazy, but there are some good log piles and rocks you could probably play on with your monster. I'd get a map, and have one of the LBS's give you some more precise beta.

Stellar riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OhTeeBee said:
Sunrise Ski Resort. Uphill pedaling not neccesary. :thumbsup:
Yeah, I am planning a trip up there next weekend, just going to do a run up to Flag to get some miles back in the saddle after not riding during my move.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Yeah, I am planning a trip up there next weekend, just going to do a run up to Flag to get some miles back in the saddle after not riding during my move.
sixsixtysix we are heading up on the 8th, riding and staying in the camping area at the turn up the road and riding the 9th then returning home if you want to join in and share the costs that would be great. later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jodiuh said:
My ma will be spending the summer up there. I'm a D rider with a basic Cross Country FS, any recs? :D
Spending the summer up where? Flagstaff? Chicago?

On another note, I rode the sunset trail loop yesterday (July 4th) on my 47lb pig. Rode 2 of the 7miles uphill, hiked the rest and not at all ashamed of it:D In the Cosmic Ray guide book he claims the record for that climb is 26 minutes. I for one want to see it, it took me 1:45 to hike and bike up that thing. In the end it was all worth it, the ride down from the top is awesome and it left me grinning ear to ear. I am actually glad I took the DH rig, on the way down I was able to plow over and through those crazy rock gardens all while passing the XC guys going around most of the bigger stuff. All in all a good day, cant wait to go back up there.

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Natural environment

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,877 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Spending the summer up where? Flagstaff? Chicago?

On another note, I rode the sunset trail loop yesterday (July 4th) on my 47lb pig. Rode 2 of the 7miles uphill, hiked the rest and not at all ashamed of it:D In the Cosmic Ray guide book he claims the record for that climb is 26 minutes. I for one want to see it, it took me 1:45 to hike and bike up that thing.
Once you start to get used to how much O2 is (not) up there at that elevation, you'll get better. The only climb that is exceptionally steep IMO is the ride through the hobbit forest section (big boulders), and due to that and the boulders, it's the only one that I can't really clean going up, but still a good portion of it is rideable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
helimech said:
sixsixtysix we are heading up on the 8th, riding and staying in the camping area at the turn up the road and riding the 9th then returning home if you want to join in and share the costs that would be great. later.
I appreciate the offer, but think I am going to make the run up to Sunrise this weekend for some real big bike riding. Since i am from the very very flat midwest I need to limit the amount of self propelled climbs I do until I shed a few pounds and get used to climbing 2000 verticle feet:)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dude you must of lost some brain cells from lack of O2

sixsixtysix said:
I appreciate the offer, but think I am going to make the run up to Sunrise this weekend for some real big bike riding. Since i am from the very very flat midwest I need to limit the amount of self propelled climbs I do until I shed a few pounds and get used to climbing 2000 verticle feet:)
Dude no XC stuff at this time. We are taking the big bikes for some real big bike riding:eekster: and using the ski lift to get the dam things to the top. Hmmmm were did I mislead you? Anyway have you been there before? Later :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.