Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, thanks to Walt, I, tackling the challenge the challenge of replacing a DT on a Soma CX frame that a buddy from work threw my way.

Tonight's effort, so far, was some practice on an old lug. Looked decent so I mitered up some scrap and got it tacked up. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll run the actual fillet.

Second tack got a bit crazy as I was interrupted by someone trying to sell siding right as I was starting to tack.

Thanks to everyone, including Walt, Rody, Shiggy, Garro and everyone else who has contributed here, frame forum, vsalon and other places over the years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More practice this morning. Felt better than it turned out. A bit frustrating as I've welded with all methods except for tig.

Hardest part is seeing the brass. Not sure if my glasses are too dark or what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
builder of frames
74 Posts
Even a #3 lens is a challenge for beginners to see through. It is easier to start out with something lighter and then increase the shade strength during the learning curve.

It appears you are holding the heat just a bit too long in one place so the brass has a chance to sag a bit until it hardens away from your flame. There is almost a split second difference between just right and too long. You will get the hang of the on/off motion as you practice more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts