Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily I had a friend there to capture the moment.

Bruised my shoulder (hurts to lift) and my elbow, but I'll just swallow some advil and keep truckin'. However, the front wheel and my money situation may keep me out of commision. Where's the best place to get a "cheapy" wheel until I can afford a good wheelset? Craigslist doesn't have anything, and ebay takes too long. Will any "disc ready" wheel work for my Hardrock?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the fatest city in the US. Not a lot of hardcore mountainbikers around here. The pickens are slim for any kind of exercise equipment. Problem with Allofcraigs is that I'm not going to send money to a person on craigs for shipment.

·
I dream on two wheels
763 Posts
You could try smacking the wheel on the ground until its somewhat straight. It might get you by till you can get a new wheel. I've used that method before for wheels that are a little too bent for a spoke wrench.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried going to your local bike shop and seeing if they can get it good enough to ride on? I had a similar situation and for $10 bucks it worked fine.
You could try smacking the wheel on the ground until its somewhat straight. It might get you by till you can get a new wheel. I've used that method before for wheels that are a little too bent for a spoke wrench.
The wheel is broken/cracked in two spots. I pretty much folded it over. The spokes just pull it back so it doesn't look so bad at first glance.

I'm not finding any wheels cheaper than $80 at LBS's. Single wall.
Jenson only has sets starting at $90+ship.
Craigslist has 2 sets starting at $350 within a 80 mile radius.

Any online stores that carry something around $30-40?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Come up to Austintown:
26" MTB. Front Wheel
Mavic x223 disc rim with Deore hub

local to you, this might work with a cheap conversion kit:
DT Swiss 26" front wheel 15QR axle
Strange. I put in "26" wheel" and that one didn't come up. Then "mountain wheel". I'll try for the local one since I'm on the west side of SA. It's a long drive to Austin.

Can you tell me what needs to be converted? Is the asking price fair?
Thanks.

Either that or do the same to the rear wheel it should balance things out
Good idea. Maybe I'll tweak my right shoulder to match the left one too.:thumbsup:

249 Posts
Sorry I don't have any cheap wheel advice, but I am intrigued to know just exactly what happened :eek:
I would say he hesitated on the drop, locked his brakes, and endo'd.

On another note, who builds a tank trap in the middle of a trail???:D

Back to the OP's question...
Cheapo wheel on-line: $40+20 (+/-) oversized S/H = at least $60.

I'm an on-line parts addict but recently found that there are stuff sold at LBS that are way cheaper. Recent purchase is a $39 rear wheel from a local Performance outlet, I have now $$ to spare for a new chain. :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I stopped by the lbs on the way home and found a wtb wheel for $58. I was getting worried that I wouldn't be able to ride this weekend.

The drop is about 2.5'. My friend was ahead of me and went around the drop. I already acted like a badass and told him I would go for it. It was the "watch this" scenario that always ends well. Lol So I went full speed at it and actually hopped off the end. Everything seemed to go well as far as the jump. I lifted the bike, got the front wheel slightly higher than the rear, and cleared the small hole that's closer to the drop. But when I touched down on the rocks, the bike didn't roll at all. Either the wheels hit just right between rocks keeping the bike from moving forward, or the wheel just gave in due to the weight and impact, then folded over immediately. No brakes, no hesitation, straight wheels.
Who knows. Lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.