Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a crazy down hill this past Sunday. After getting home I inspected my bike. I found three deep paint chips near my chain rings. Apparently the stock cannondale chain stay didn't catch all the abuse.

It might be time for a bigger chain stay... I've heard an old tub would due the trick? Maybe adding some lizard skin protection pads? What would you suggest? Also, Regarding filling the chips, would nail Polish be safe and sufficient? Does have to be perfect, I just want something covering the exposed metal etc.... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have been using old tubes as long as I have been riding, save your cash those wrap around protectors usually suck. Two zip ties and some old tube is all you need, I cut the tube open and cut a strip about 1 1/2 wide and wrap it over the stay and just zip tie the one end. It will last years and years before you need to replace it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Inner tube wrapped with black electrical tape: cheap protection and quiets the noise.

When flying downhill, If you have a big ring, shift into it and use a middle cog. The chain has more tension than in the middle ring in the smallest cogs. This helps with the slapping.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been using old tubes as long as I have been riding, save your cash those wrap around protectors usually suck. Two zip ties and some old tube is all you need, I cut the tube open and cut a strip about 1 1/2 wide and wrap it over the stay and just zip tie the one end. It will last years and years before you need to replace it.
Thx. I will most likely go the tube route.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inner tube wrapped with black electrical tape: cheap protection and quiets the noise.

When flying downhill, If you have a big ring, shift into it and use a middle cog. The chain has more tension than in the middle ring in the smallest cogs. This helps with the slapping.
I appreciate the info regarding the chainring. Didn't think about this.

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
Don't sweat the paint chips. Any bike that actually gets ridden off-road is going to pick up tons of them. There's nothing detrimental in having exposed aluminum - a couple of my frames came raw, with no paint at all. The chips are solely cosmetic.
Remember, it's a mountain bike, not a show car.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I use a smooth tennis racquet grip.

Overlap each turn going in direction from bb to cassette. Finish it off with a zip tie, I glue the last turn to keep it from unraveling.

Another option that looks cool is Lizard Skins bat wrap. A little more expensive but you get a choice of colors and thicknesses.

John

Added... Gorilla makes a waterproof repair tape that I am going to try out to keep the last wrap stuck to the previous wraps. I wouldn't use it directly on the frame. I've used the tape on my old Jeep seats and it seems to hold up really well.

·
Magically Delicious
12,518 Posts
If I've got a longer DH, I frequently do this intuitively. I wouldn't have thought to post it though...good call!

Second option (beyond wrapping or protecting your chain stay) is to consider a clutched rear derailleur such as a Shimano Shadow Plus. This has been one the solutions I have done to correct chain slap. Why try and fix the symptom when you can eliminate it all together

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't sweat the paint chips. Any bike that actually gets ridden off-road is going to pick up tons of them. There's nothing detrimental in having exposed aluminum - a couple of my frames came raw, with no paint at all. The chips are solely cosmetic.
Remember, it's a mountain bike, not a show car.
Haha for sure, chips do give the bike character and it shows it's being ridden for it's intended use. However, I'm all for avoiding excessive paint loss if feasible. lol, just stings a bit when I paid 1800 bucks for my ride ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I've got a longer DH, I frequently do this intuitively. I wouldn't have thought to post it though...good call!

Second option (beyond wrapping or protecting your chain stay) is to consider a clutched rear derailleur such as a Shimano Shadow Plus. This has been one the solutions I have done to correct chain slap. Why try and fix the symptom when you can eliminate it all together
Interesting.... Thx

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
I hear ya. I was the same way with my first bikes. A little masking tape, touch up paint from the auto store and nail polish would hook you up.

Random knowledge - nail polish followed by a some polishing is the go-to fix for filling in fork stanchion scratches. Works great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya. I was the same way with my first bikes. A little masking tape, touch up paint from the auto store and nail polish would hook you up.

Random knowledge - nail polish followed by a some polishing is the go-to fix for filling in fork stanchion scratches. Works great.
I stoled my fiancé white nail polish and her blow dryer, it came out pretty good. Note to everyone, make sure you put the hair dryer back... I got a nasty text this morning because she couldn't find it before work... 😬

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.