Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to recover from my first epic SS ride on 29" wheels and only my fifth ride on an SS. A friend and I entered the Tour of Felasco 50 miler in Alachua, FL and decided that we would leave the gearies at home and ride our new singles. I have been having an absolute blast on a new SIR9 over the last couple of weeks, and had forgotten how much fun a rigid, steel bike is. In all there were four of us in our crew. One Redline MC Flight, a custom Bilenky 29r hard tail, Surly 1x1 and the SIR9. I started to suffer from severe leg cramps about half way into the ride and got progressively worse until about 7 miles from the end. Some how I managed to ride through the cramping and finish. I guess I need to get used to mashing bigger gears and standing up. I tend to sit and spin through climbs on my geared bike and standing as much as I did definitely hit different muscles than I am used to taxing on that level.

Also, got passed by Tinker and I think he was spinning his big ring the whole way up the long gradual climb we were on. He completed the 51 miles in 3 hrs 15 minutes (it only took me just under 6 hrs and 15 minutes :eek:

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
50 miles is 50 miles ...whatever you're riding....

Qfactor03 said:
I'm still trying to recover from my first epic SS ride on 29" wheels (it only took me just under 6 hrs and 15 minutes :eek:
Hey... congrats, you're starting to build a good base. The next time you ride that distance it will be easier. :thumbsup:

OMR...:cool:
SoCal

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep, there are a couple here and there.

Padre said:
There are hills in Florida?
Only difference is they only last for about 5 minutes instead of an hour and a half :D . The first eight miles of single track had switch backs that stair stepped back and forth to make the most of the hill sides. There were over 450 riders of all levels which made for some tough climbing until things finally spread out a bit. It's tough to stand and keep the momentum going on the single when you keep rubbing the back tire of the rider in front of you who is seated and slowly spinning a 32x32.

BTW, Erik, I have only one word for you "DeSalvo". I spoke to Mike recently and I want one bad.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mtber3737. I have been riding since 91 and have completed many centurys on the road and several 40-50 milers on the "geared" mtb, but this was my first on the SS. It was an eye opener, but an absolute blast. My 5" geared bike is sitting lonely in the garage now and I just keep looking forward to the next ride on the single.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yup

Padre said:
There are hills in Florida?
Quite a few, actually. The northern and middle (Brooksville/Ocalla/Gainesville) sections of FL are nothing but hills. Not huge hills or anything, but lots of rolling stuff.

We also have some trail systems that are located on several-thousand-acre former quarry areas that give us everything from flat and twisty to semi-extreme ledgy, steep descent and climb type riding.

Check out IMBAs current EPIC list. There are two trails on there that are both within an hour of the Tampa area (where I am) - Alafia and Santos.

We don't have mountains, but we have alot of good riding to be had! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good job!

I'll be riding the Croom 35/50 on Feb 3rd on my Rigid SS El Mariachi. My buddy will be pedaling beside me on his rigid Monocog.

It's good to hear survival stories from others riding long distances on SS and/or rigid bikes!

Was the Redline Flight mentioned piloted by Jim (Keyaroxy on mtbr)?

What gearing did you use, and how did it work out?

Well done! :cornut:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Beckman.

Beckman4 said:
Quite a few, actually. The northern and middle (Brooksville/Ocalla/Gainesville) sections of FL are nothing but hills. Not huge hills or anything, but lots of rolling stuff.

We also have some trail systems that are located on several-thousand-acre former quarry areas that give us everything from flat and twisty to semi-extreme ledgy, steep descent and climb type riding.

Check out IMBAs current EPIC list. There are two trails on there that are both within an hour of the Tampa area (where I am) - Alafia and Santos.

We don't have mountains, but we have alot of good riding to be had! :thumbsup:
I live in Bradenton and ride Alafia or Boyette pretty much every weekened and occasionally make it up to Carter Rd.. Due to "busy lives" we rarely get up to Santos or Reddick anymore but it is a real treat when we do.

Inverted FL mountains!

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beckman4 said:
I'll be riding the Croom 35/50 on Feb 3rd on my Rigid SS El Mariachi. My buddy will be pedaling beside me on his rigid Monocog.

It's good to hear survival stories from others riding long distances on SS and/or rigid bikes!

Was the Redline Flight mentioned piloted by Jim (Keyaroxy on mtbr)?

What gearing did you use, and how did it work out?

Well done! :cornut:
I missed the entry for Croom so I am going to get on the SWAMP e-list to try to squeeze in. I rode a 32x21 for Felasco, but would probably switch to the 19 for Croom. The 21 was too easy for most of the rolling stuff, but it was a life saver in the climbs. I definitely don't have legs for standing and grinding the SS on longer climbs, YET. I have ridden Croom many times and it just doesn't have the climbing that the Alachua ride does.

Yes, it was Jim on the Flight and his friend John was on the Bilenky. I just met Jim at Alafia a couple of weeks ago. While in th eparking area, I recognized his truck from being caught in traffic behind him on the way to work in the morning. It turned out that h is house is about 10 minutes from where I live. John actually raced two different classes at a Cross race the next day, although he was riding gears at Felasco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.