Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it works! I still need to build the helmet light which will be a single version of the double bar set up. I used Seoul Z power U bin LEDs, one in each light with 15* floods on the bars and a 5* slated for the helmet light. A buckpuck in the body of one light allows for a dimming circuit (switch on left light body) and the light is driven by 10 AA NiMH batts in a camera case. The helmet light will be driven by a smaller AA pack and a 800ma driver from Deal Extreme.

As soon as the weather cooperates, I will get some more saddle time, but so far I am very pleased. I wanted to build a simple light first using batt chargers and stuff I already had. I know it could have been brighter, etc. I will save that for the next light.

I have a series of articles written for The Bike Lab that hopefully will be up next month. I will try and share my experiences to encourage others to dive in, but I need to thank all the folks who post their knowledge here. Your advice and creativity made this possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Nice job, I'm in the process of doing a single mc-e in the same flashlight housing. What optics did you use? I robbed the spot optice out of my blackburn x6, it's mediocre at best. also what clamps are you using?

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rollertoaster said:
Nice job, I'm in the process of doing a single mc-e in the same flashlight housing. What optics did you use? I robbed the spot optice out of my blackburn x6, it's mediocre at best. also what clamps are you using?
I used these http://www.ledsupply.com/20mm.php in 15*. So far I am pleased with the light pattern, but I really have barely played with it. Time will tell, but I see no artifacts or donuts, etc.

The clamps are from a set of Turbocat lights (halogens). They are a wicked cool cnc'd alu clamp with a tensioning system like a QR cam.

This flashlight has a ton of material in the head piece. It is longer and heavier than some of the cheaper lights, but if I did a good job conducting that heat into the light body, it should handle it fine.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ocean breathes salty said:
NIce work! The small torches really make for a clean looking build.
Thanks! I am building a duplicate set of lights for a buddy and he picked up those 6 lights for 10 bucks blister park from Home Depot. The flashlights are about 2/3 the length and are much thinner wall material. We shall see how those work out.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
p97z said:
Looks clean... You can also swap a 15 degree for a 5 degree if you want a little more throw.

Nice work!
I have some 5* optics for the head lamp. That should reach out a bit. Really, through the years I have most often wanted more width in the beam rather than throw, but there is a need for both.

I am thinking a triple LED build with 2 floods angled outwards enough so that the beams juuust begin to separate and then plop a single spot in the middle of the housing. Give me a hi/low setting and I would be rockin'.

I have a machinist buddy that has been very intrigued by it all. Maybe we can do something trick. But for now, ride on!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I measured the opening on my light head and came up with a 22mm opening and 25mm inside dia. I'm guessing the optic holder will take up some extra space and make a 20mm optic fit just right. I'm hoping to finish mine soon, but my heatsink is gonna require some machining to allow the head to screw down on the body all the way. I'm suprised at the amount of heat an mc-e can generate, so I'm using a pretty substantial heatsink.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.