Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Lucky13 said:
Was wondering how would one set up suspension for a DH course? I know it should sag about 30-40%, but what about rebound and compression? Cannot proide any info on the course as I don't know myself.

Thanks!
it depends on the course dude so no one can really help you. but you might wanna set it up good for pedaling

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I've found that on rocky courses fast rebound helps a bit, and on flatter courses slow rebound helps so that you can pedal easier.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I'd just leave it the way you have it. If you're gonna be doing practice runs tinker around ot see how you like it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
id make it like as plush as you can and kinda fast rebound. not super fast. dont know if you have a 5th but make the air volume all the way out so its less progressive so you use more of your suspension on bumps. but i would just experiment. make it really plush or as soft as you can make it then if the pedaling REAlly matters make it a bit stiffer. but most dh courses ive been to pedaling doesnt really matter too much. but i guess my bike pedals pretty good no matter what so i dont really know what its like on a really bad pedaling bike.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
It should be alright as long as you know how you had it set up before (ex.5clicks of rebound from fast) thatw ay you can just set it back up....

Although I see why it would be a bad thing considering you'd be used to riding it a certain way.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Maybe you just need to come out west for some races Jason. ;) You'll find that pedalling a course that pros are getting 4-5minutes on is a necessity.

·
Registered
498 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Maybe you just need to come out west for some races Jason. ;) You'll find that pedalling a course that pros are getting 4-5minutes on is a necessity.
i know. i really do. only been to 4 races this season and windrock will be number 5 and my last one this season. i need to get out to way more races. but its pretty hard when i cant drive or anything.

and yeah. i pedal alot. i just dont think that having a great pedaling bike is faster then having a plush bike. you can go alot faster through rough sections on a bike with a good amount of travel. and pedal through em if you arent bouncing all over the place. but my der. hangers are almost never straight for races anyways so its hard for me to pedal with my chain constantly skipping.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This might sound like a dumb answer to some but it is true. Suspension set up will not make you or break you on your first few dh races. But your chain guide will do you in. Make sure it is set up right and not half assed. It might work while you just ride around but for some reason when you race they get hosed up. That is one of the biggest problems I have seen with new racers. I had problems with my first guide and so did just about everyone I know. Even if you bought a good guide make sure it is right and you will be a happy guy at the end of your race.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Moriority said:
This might sound like a dumb answer to some but it is true. Suspension set up will not make you or break you on your first few dh races. But your chain guide will do you in. Make sure it is set up right and not half assed. It might work while you just ride around but for some reason when you race they get hosed up. That is one of the biggest problems I have seen with new racers. I had problems with my first guide and so did just about everyone I know. Even if you bought a good guide make sure it is right and you will be a happy guy at the end of your race.
does he even have a chainguide? i know this messed me up on my first race. i dropped my chain half way down the course and had to coast the rest of teh way. still got third in my class though :D

oh and i still need a chainguide.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
Lucky13 said:
Don't have a guide yet, thus, I expect no problems accosiated with it. Still trying to save up for one. Is Truvativ any good?
If you have a bashguard instead of a big ring, here's a trick I used to use. Set your limit screw on your FD so that when you're in 3rd gear your chain is still on the middle ring but rubbing when you're in the larger gears in the back. Then as you accellerate and downshift in the back, rubbing goes away, and you've got a much tighter FD holding your chain on than if you just leave it normally. Also, if you drop your chain you can downshift the front down to 1, and then upshift as normal while pedaling and it'll usually pick the chain back up. THese are just stopgap measures you can try this weekend, nothing substitutes for a good chainguide. Haven't tried Truvativ's, but am a pretty big fan of E13. Anything is better than nothing, though.

Oh yeah, and main thing is have fun. I've seen too many people get too worked up over their first race, crash, hate racing and never do it again. Good luck!

dante

1 - 16 of 16 Posts