Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice? Intermediate rider looking for any trail suggestions. Trails well marked? Maps? I've heard Braille trail is killer. Anything would be helpful. Thanks

·
roadie
744 Posts

from the entrance highland (parking spaces/lot on the right, there's a bridge) most people will ride the road southeast on highland way and up buzzard lagoon onto the fire road and then tuck into the trailhead at the intersection of ridge trail. from there some take corral, but i'd stay on ridge for your first ride. at the intersection with braille you can do a shorter ride and drop down braille, climb out on hihn's mill back to the entrance. or a longer loop taking ridge past the intersection of braille to sawpit, then climbing hihn's mill to sulphur springs, then do braille, climb out. rinse, repeat, etc. end of the day go up hihn's mill and you're back at the car. climbing adds up pretty quick.

trails are marked, but i could see how someone would miss something or be confused about an intersection.

i actually kinda like starting by just going down hihn's mill (yellow gate in the parking lot) to sulphur and up to take either braille or sawpit down. it's a quick way to get to the top of braille, with a few less intersections. but you also miss a section of ridge or the option of going down corral (going up ridge or any of the single track is not really something you'll want to do more than once)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Also, watch out for some of the steep sections while descending Braille and Corral. Although everything is well designed, w/ plenty of sight distance ahead of any curves and good flow, it can be a little disconcerting at first. my first time at demo, i definitely did walk a few sections that i wasn't feeling, or sessioned them a bit.

·
Registered
914 Posts
For the first time it might be kind of confusing trying to actually get to demo. If you take highland, follow the road up and then there will be a fire road on your right when the street takes a sharp left. Take the fire road on the right and keep going up. You will then get to an intersection. For the first timer, I suggest going right(up) on the fire road. You will eventually get close to the top where there is a locked gate on your left. Go around this locked gate and follow the fire road. You will then come to a clearing where there will be 2 benches on your left. Look to your right and you will see the beginning of ridge trail.

First time I went there we got to the locked gate and got all confused on where to go next. We found it eventually but I just remember getting confused there.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Would a link to Strava doing the Demo Double help? It's about 2 1/2 hrs when you climb as slow as me. I like Corral too, but that adds to climbing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! Had an awesome ride today. Wish I had someone riding with me on Braille so I could have hit it harder. Took the trail to the helipad then down Braille. Then went down to Tractor trail, took that up for quite awhile until I hit a bunch of downed trees and looked like the trail dissipated. Beautiful area!

·
roadie
744 Posts
nice. tractor would in fact take you back up to ridge, just downhill of where you made the right turn to go down braille. it's a little confusing right now with the various spurs, but it does in fact connect.

i snuck out there for a quick loop around noon. would have liked to check out sawpit and swing by the flow trail to see how the tractor repairs were going... but hot-damn braille is so fun! no grease, no dust, no trees, all smiles. f-yeah. beer me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might have seen you leaving the park...Yellow Bronson? I was parked along the Way in a white BMW with a black Bronson. Looks like I was close to connecting back up but the trail got pretty gnarly with the downed trees and going back down the fire road was actually pretty fun. Saw the closed flow trails, looked pretty good. Heard some chainsaw hacking in the distance, not sure if this was related.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea buddy, amazing conditions for my first ride out here. Truly jealous of what you guys got out here in your backyard. Didn't hit much else DH other than Braille besides the fire roads because I really didn't feel like getting lost. But I must say the trails were marked very well and when you get those flow trails rolling wow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I live in Vacaville. Since I discovered this site I've been kinda lurking/planning out places to ride. Pretty sweet spot actually. Not a whole lot to ride in the local area besides Rockville/Pena Adobe. But, an hour or two north or south are primo spots. Originally from Southern Oregon around Ashland. Will be moving back there in a few months

1 - 14 of 14 Posts