Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Paul B said:
Well, two mornings in a row waking up sweaty and I couldn't take it any more. Dew point's up to 47, and my poor old-skool evap just can't keep up. I'm very disappointed; I love evap and hate A/C.

Here come $300/month electric bills!

p.
Ours has been on for about a month now. Not sure how it will affect the electric bill (we pay the same each month). Been keeping it at 84.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I keep it at 76 here -- lots of computer hardware for the biz, and I sleep like crap when it's warm. With the evap, I was paying $105/month.

1300 s.f., newly installed dual-pane windows since last year. A mess of insulation in the attic. We could probably re-weatherstrip the doors and buy a little more efficiency.

p.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm still running the evap. It was definitely warmer last night but that's what the ceiling fan is for. The a/c won't come on until the dew point hits 55 unless my wife says otherwise.....which she often does.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what happened! I thought the evap would hold out a few more days, but last night was the deal-breaker. Actually the morning was. It was 72 in the house with the evap, but the minute the sun came up it started creeping up pretty fast. 76 by 8:30 or so.

·
Something goes here...
2,089 Posts
I love AC! Actually, I have to have it. If I'm the least bit warm, I can't sleep at all. Set to 80 with the ceiling fan on high and sometimes a dresser fan.

I am getting acclimated to the hotter weather which angers me b/c I also cramp like crazy in warm weather. So I feel ok on the roadie but end up cramping badly anyway. Oh well, better to cramp on the bike then not be on one at all.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
We just had our 18 old unit replaced with a high efficency 16 SEER unit. Looking to go solar soon as well, as the energy crunch will be heavily felt on the utility front in the comming years.

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
Paul B said:
Well, two mornings in a row waking up sweaty and I couldn't take it any more. Dew point's up to 47, and my poor old-skool evap just can't keep up. I'm very disappointed; I love evap and hate A/C.

p.
Wow, $300 a month?? Are you serious? My summer power bill is usually around $100 a month. Granted, my house is only 1000 sq.feet, and I keep it at 83 degrees. I wonder how much different the price per KW is, between nuclear powered Phoenix, and coal powered Tucson?

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
I keep it at 78 and it's still a low bill. My house is only 1 year old so I'm guessing that has something to do with it, low-e windows and high efficiency AC I guess do make a big difference.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Paul B said:
Louis, what did it cost you? I'm looking at doing the same thing (our AC is about as old as yours).

p.
5-7K for the 12-14 SEER stuff and 8-10K for the 16-18 SEER's which also come with variable power settings (75% and 100%) and a a circulating fan. When I walk in my house I can feel a slight breeze.

So if yours is as old as mine you will also have to bring your house up to the newer electrical codes. That factors into the costs as well as well as any nessecary duct work.

Oh yeah, the AC dude estimated my old unit was operating in the 4-6 SEER range. Still waiting for the first bill.

We are decadent and run ours at 80.

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
69.3° here, now - no AC

Paul B said:

p.
We are running the cooler on low and it is 69.3° at 5 AM in the house. It got up to 81.7° in the house, yesterday.

I like the open doors and windows. In extreme heat, we close the windows on the 'sun side' and force the air out the 'shade side'.

Last July, we bought our first room/window air conditioner(s) because I had a photo show approaching and the extreme humidity of monsoon caused my mats and boards to warp. A couple of them kept our place 'too cold'. They are 'energy savers' and cost $150 each. This year, they will be utilized, again.

If/when we upgrade it will be a heat pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.