Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to build up a Redline D660 frame with a Manitou Minute fork. Heres what I've put together so far. I'd like to keep the cost around $1000(not counting what the frame/fork costs me).

Wheelset- Sun Ringle Charger Expert
Drive train- 1x10- Sram X9 (medium or short cage?),SRAM PG-1070 10sp 11-36 cassette, Race Face Evolve Single Speed Cranks
Sram PC 1051 P-Lock 10-Speed chain
Sram X.7 Trigger Shifter
Avid BB7 brakes, 185 front, 160 rear, Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers
Cane creek S3
Ea50 seatpost
Truvativ Stylo Team Flat Bar
Easton EA30 Stem
WTB Speed V Comp Saddle
Sette Type-H Lock On Grips
Tires TBD

I think that puts me around 950 give or take a few $ before tires. I'm open to advice, suggestions on weights saving, better/strong parts ect.

Thanks!

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
If you are ordering from Pricepoint, You may look at using all Truvativ Stylo cockpit. It looks good! You will probably save some weight over the EA30/EA50 stuff. There is plenty of discounted 2010/2011 Stylo team, race, etc stuff at discount.

Also, I am not sure if the sale is still going on, but I would personally get the Hayes Stroker Trail brakes over the BB7s...unless you just want to constantly mess with mechanicals. They are very hassle free, lighter and stop better! They work out to being about the same price after rotors because you have to buy the Brakes, levers, cables, cable housing, and replace those anchor rotors.

For Rotors, depending on your weight, if you are sub 190lb and don't have Colorado elevation, you may consider the Alligator sawblade looking rotors..they are light and about $15 ea. I have been running them on all my bikes for the last 5 years..its a great inexpensive ring thats in the weight weenie category.

Also consider Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team crank, and removing the rings. It will weigh less, and you can sell the extra rings on Ebay if you don't want them. Then look up BBG bashguards on the interweb and pick up one of those for around $20. Its a better deal, it looks better, and its lighter.

For the SRAM PC-1051, you might consider the PC-1070/71 and absolutely buy a KMC 10-speed missing link ($5), the Powerlock is a one use and throw away...they aren't worth the trouble! Also you need a medium cage to run the 11-36T cassette.

Tires are completely terrain dependant. Though I have rode Maryland, North carolina, Michigan, Texas, Arizona (Tuscon, Pheonix, Sedona, & Flagstaff) and here in Florida on WTB Wolverines 2.2s, and they fared pretty well in all of that type of riding.

Overall, I think you have a pretty sound budget build. My suggestions may deviate your budget slightly, but probably only by $50-$120...that includes tires, but the cockpit parts and crank should be very close to the same.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the crankset, the Race Face and Stylo 3.3 are equal in weight, and although I'd remove 2 rings, would adding the bashguard offset the weight loss? Also, since I'm running 1x, wouldn't a single speed crankset be better since it would come with a SS specific chainring? How about the Truvativ 1.1 Guard Stylo Single Speed Crankset?

As for brakes, the BB7s seem to have good reviews on here, although a few weeks ago someone on a ride was saying they don't like their mechanicals(think they were bb7s). Something I'll have to look further into.

Cassette- I can't find a 11-36 PC-1070

I ordered a set of WTB Stout tires today from chainlove since they were cheap($15 each)... super heavy, but figured I can run them if I'm riding in crappy conditions or rough trails. I'll get lighter ones for regular use

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
My opinion about single speed specific rings is no. I haven't found one to be superior to another. The only difference is the guide pins in your build which are completely transparent. The advantage to the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 is you get a very good crank, you can sell the outer ring on ebay to fund for a BBG bashguard which are very cheap and light by the way...lighter than the stock ones that come on a 1X crankset. Overall you come out with a more custom look, and a lighter setup that didn't cost anything more.
BBG Bashguards:
Home

The PC-1070 is the chain. Its better quality with nickel plating which won't rust up, and easier to clean.

The PG-1050 is fine, no arguments there, I see you are on a budget.

As for the brakes, I have to really stick to my guns on suggesting against the BB7s. They are the best mechanical out there, but they don't hold a candle to the performance of the Hayes Stroker Trails (the lowest model). I have them on my girlfriend's bike, and I have the Stroker Grams on my bike..same internals..but lighter. They are awesome performing brakes, especially for the money.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions. I have to sell my current bike before I get this build going, and if I can't get what I'm looking to get for it, I may just part it out and run the Elixir 5s from it, and possibly the XT crankset

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.