Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I just about have her ready for the spring. I figured I would build up slowly over the winter, but I got a little over ambitious. Anyway here's a list tell me what you think:

Frame: Trek 8000
Fork: Marzocchi all mountain sl
Brakes: Hayes HFX-9 HD
Crank set: Shimano XT Hollowtech
Front derailer: Shimano XT
Rear Derailer: Shimano XTR
Shifters Shimano XTR
Cassette: SRam 950
Wheelset: Shimano XT hubs, Sun DS1-XC rims
Headset: Cane Creek S8
Stem: Bontrager Race Light
Handlebar: Bontrager Select
Seatpost: Bontrager Race Light
Seat: Bontrager Big Earl

I still need Pedals and Tires. For pedals I'm leaning towards Crank bros. Egg beater or smarty. I'm also planning on picking up Stan's tubless kit.

Most of it is built now, just waiting on the stem so I can put on the handlebars.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Thats a lot of fork for that frame. I personally warrantied (as a warranty manager for a large Trek dealer) a 6700 frame that had a snapped headtube from a kid running a long travel fork on it (and admittedly jumping). My concerns of running that long of a fork are addressed in this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=264310

Just a thought

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on doing any jumps. I do agree that the fork is going to be overkill. I got a really good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. I guess I should be running it dialed down to 130mm then. There's not much else I can do. The fork is bought and installed. My LBS didn't seem to have a problem with the setup. I purchased it elsewhere and had them install the headset and cut the steerer tube.

·
Don't touch me!
871 Posts
MOTU83 said:
I don't plan on doing any jumps. I do agree that the fork is going to be overkill. I got a really good deal on it and couldn't pass it up. I guess I should be running it dialed down to 130mm then. There's not much else I can do. The fork is bought and installed. My LBS didn't seem to have a problem with the setup. I purchased it elsewhere and had them install the headset and cut the steerer tube.
Just because they installed it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Some people have no problem brushing aside a conflict of interest for a buck. I've seen pretty girls with bad tatoos. Dodge Neons with rear window lettering proclaiming to the world that yes, I am riding in a Dodge Neon. Dudes with belly-button piercings. Red mtb tires. Oh, the horror... the horror...

So, my advise is, if you must ride it, don't go off any sweet jumps and set the fork with maximum sag. Try and stay off the street unless you want to PLAM.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I would have spent more money on the wheels and brakes. Less money on the drivetrain, bars, stem, post, etc... I don't see a real performance advantage of XTR over LX. Bars and stems and posts can be more easily upgraded latter. Many people change there bar and stem several times to tune the handeling of the bike. The fork is longer than what was intended for that bike and will change the way the bike handels. Maybe a shorter adjustable travel fork like the talas or minute 1 would be more appropriate. I have the minute 1 and go from 100mm on the climbs to 125mm for downhills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maida7 said:
I would have spent more money on the wheels and brakes. Less money on the drivetrain, bars, stem, post, etc... I don't see a real performance advantage of XTR over LX. Bars and stems and posts can be more easily upgraded latter. Many people change there bar and stem several times to tune the handeling of the bike. The fork is longer than what was intended for that bike and will change the way the bike handels. Maybe a shorter adjustable travel fork like the talas or minute 1 would be more appropriate. I have the minute 1 and go from 100mm on the climbs to 125mm for downhills.
I've actually already upgraded the stem I had a weighless on it before but it wasn't fitting right. It's an ebay bike so there wasn't that much difference between the XTs and XTRs. I got the shifters brand new in box for under 130.00. I've spent about 1800 CAD so far (about 1500USD).

I'll keep my eye open for a good price on a shorter travel fork. It has. however, gone slightly over budget already so I may be on the all mountain for this season at least.

Would it be easier to maybe upgrade the frame instead?

I appreciate all the advice, thanks guys. I have been semi-serious about biking (recreational) but I've never had a decent bike. I've been on a 10 year old walmart mongoose with upgraded shocks for far too long now. I guessed I rushed into it a bit. Oh well, live and learn.

Fred: travel is 130mm-150mm

Beeristasty: PLAM is what? Why would riding it on the street be a bad idea?

Again, thanks for all your input.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Nice bike for 1,500.00 I assume the frame is used.

LX shifters can be had for 60.00 new in the box. The performance differance is not that big between lx and xtr. certianly not twice as good. Changing the frame may be very expensive. A new frame costs a bit and then you may need a new seatpost, front derailer, even a new fork if the steerer has been cut short.

enjoy your new ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The frame is used, but for only one or two rides. The chainstay isn't even scratched (well maybe a nick or two). I guess a smaller guy bought it and it was too big for him so he stripped the components and bought a new frame.

That's true about buying the new components. Hadn't thought of that. I've already gone through that once. The original seatpost I bought was a 27.X. I always thought it was a standard size. It was a cheap bontrager I had got for 14 bucks so no big deal. Turns out I needed 31.6 which is why I went ahead and got the upgraded one. I only paid about 24 bucks and coupled it with the new stem so shipping was only about 6 bucks (52 for both including shipping), all new components.

·
Don't touch me!
871 Posts
MOTU83 said:
Beeristasty: PLAM is what? Why would riding it on the street be a bad idea?
Again, thanks for all your input.
Pogo like a mofo. While street riding, a mushy front end is like walking in sand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.