Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved out to Colorado about a month ago. I am starting to get into riding quite a bit, and have been using my roommates old bike. It is a few year old trek 4100. I will be riding almost all in the mountains, riding up for the amazing ride down. When I use his bike the things I don't like about the ride are that the brakes are not as powerful as I would like, and that it does not take big hits well. It is also hard to control when I get to high downhill speeds with the lose brakes and weak front shocks. I know that it is a bit to small for me because I am 5" taller then him and it feels to small. I have been trying to look around for bikes on the internet to get an idea of where to start, but there are SO many options. If someone could help point me in the right direction it would help. I am looking not to spend more then like $800 and less if I can by getting a last years model, and a friend that runs a bike shop near by (he snowboards, and does not bike so he is not much help). Thanks

·
Registered
649 Posts
Try the Specialized Hardrock Pro disc, it retails for $700 US (i think) and looks to be great value for money. That way you will have dough left to pay for a good helmet and maybe pedals if you aren't happy with the ones that come with the bike. The only possible thing you might not be happy with is the fork but it will do just fine until you feel ready to upgrade. Go HERE for a look at the Specialized website.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basic Info

Info people seem to ask for in other threads

6'2"
165 pounds
I am not sure what the definitions of differant types of riding are, but I will be mostly on trails in the mountains, some parts are very steep going up so something that is not to bad for riding up steep inclines. The trails are mostly dirt with quite a bit of rocks and deep groves and lots of turns. I do not plan of jumping off anything to high or things of that type.

·
Registered
374 Posts
For $800 you're looking at either get a mass-produced mid level bike from a retail shop, or any of the hundreds of $3000 bikes off ebay or the mtbr classifieds that have already been paid down. The secret is that used bikes aren't worth much, because everyone assumes the worst. Look for something in visibly good condition with XT or XTR (any generation). Avoid used Rockshox, as even lightly used ones are usually garabage. Even used Marzocchis are smooth and solid nearly every time. If you're actually going to be putting miles on in the mountains, for safetys sake, get something nice and solid that someone hasn't ridden much and has already paid the depreciation on.

Makin friends...

MS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.