Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's just really getting into biking and was looking for a good bike without spending too much cash. I found what i think is a pretty good deal on a Zed 2.2 and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this bike or has any suggestions for anything else around the $300 to $400 price range. Here is the link for the bike.

http://www.mtnbikes.net/k2zed22mensdarkgreen.aspx

Thanks,
EH

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
AndrwSwitch said:
Meh.

If that's your real pricepoint, buy a used bike. New bikes that cost that are almost uniformly not very good at all.
Yup, time to hop on your local craigslist and do some work. You can find easily a $1000 hardtail used for your price range. Luckily, Michigan has a mountain biking organization affiliated through the state. I don't know if your state has a local forum, but if it does you can just make a post and I am sure you could find something sweet in a week or two.

After you start finding some used bikes in your class, get it down to like 3 or 4 and then post back up on here with prices and pics and we will tell you where the value of your dollar is best spent, or to keep looking.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Keep looking, the Specialized is actually decently spec'd as far as the drivetrain goes, as well as the brakes. The problem is that it is a hybrid bike so I don't know how things like wheels, the fork, etc would hold up against the trails. Most likely the wheels won't be on par with the heavydutiness build of mtn bike wheels, and therefore become untrue quicker.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
What kind of riding do you want to do? The Crosstrail's not a mountain bike, and you'll probably be pretty unhappy with it if you go off-road much.

The asking prices on both bikes are pretty high. "Upgrades" like a $100 saddle don't really add to the value of the bike. Keep that in mind when you get upgradeitis. ;) And I generally consider that a bike has a drop in value to about half the MSRP as soon as someone wheels it out of the bike shop. That's not necessarily true for exotic bikes, and certain things might add a certain amount of value again, like buying from a used shop that will stand behind its sales for a while and has a large selection of bikes, with all required maintenance done, on the floor for you to try. A non-disc 4300 retails for $550, so there's no way it's worth $400 used, from an individual.

Check out bikepedia.com for specs and MSRPs on a huge variety of bikes.

·
Braille Riding Instructor
1,146 Posts
On your budget, going the used route might be your best option. Remember, however, that most manufacturers will not warranty a bike once it passes from the original owner's hands, which is why you should never pay more than 50 percent of retail for a second-hand bike.

There are some great values on craigslist, but there are also a lot of P.T. Barnums out there looking for a sucker.

Just my $0.02 worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.