Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am about to buy my first mountain bike. I will be using it for basic single track trails and some hard packed bridal trails. Some one at my wife's work is selling the following bike.

2002 Kona Blast, 20 frame size, 26 wheel size, all original components and documentation, purchased for $529. Includes Judy TT rock shox, Pro Brief bar ends, pump, cyclocomputer, seat bag, U-shaped kryptolock, 2 waterbottle holders, and 2 sets of tires, one for trails and one for city riding (slick tires). I am selling it because I've switched to a road bike, otherwise a great bike.

I was just wondering what a good price would be for this bike. He has used it regularly for some trail and mostly commuting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hmm maybe at most $250 if everything looks good. Good starter bike. 20" frame if really large. Does it fit you? The fit would be the most important thing. My hight at 5'7" the 17" frame is perfect. Maybe if we have your hight we could help further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I used a size calculator and think it should fit. I am 6'3" with an inseam around 34 1/2. From what I can tell it is in good condition. Once again thank you for such a quick reply.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm 6' and I ride a 20" 2008 Dawg without problems.
I probably would have gone 19" but the 2007 felt cramped and somewhat small and the 20" would have been gone before the two weeks they would have taken to assembled a 19.

One of my riding buddys at 6'2" bought one of the 2008 19" Dawgs and has no complaints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After looking at the sizing for Kona bikes I think it should fit me just fine. I am going to test ride it next week. Any suggestions on what to look for or possible problem areas?

·
Registered
138 Posts
yea, it should fit. Check the fork. make sure the action is smooth. make sure there are no loose feeling parts ie. the wheel hubs, headset, etc.. Shift through the gears. look over the frame for cracks. older bike so it might need some adjusting no biggie

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am 6 feet tall and ride a 20 inch 2007 Blast. I would have to say that a 19 inch would be ideal, but the 20 inch fits me just fine. I think that the 20 inch would be a good size for someone 6'3", but the only way to tell is for you to actually get on it.

As far as pricing goes, I would say somewhere around the $ 225-250 range would be a good price for both parties.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone for the input on the Kona Blast. I decided to purchase it and really like it. I have done a few road and trail rides. I have not gone more than 17 miles but am hoping to up that after the snow clears this weekend. Once again thank you for all your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.