Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking with some co-workers and I am very interested in getting into mountain bike riding. I haven't rode a bike for 10+ years . However now, I'm a bit heavier than before. I'm about 6'0'' ~365#

I'm wanting to do this to both have fun and help loose the extra weight I put on at my desk job. My concern was how well a bike would stand up to such weight.

The bike I have my eye on is a Trek 820. I'm actually needing something that will hold up, but also will not break my bank (which is VERY easy to do).

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I went to a bike shop on lunch and they basically convinced me to get a trek 4300. Would that be better suited for me? I don't want to spend the extra money unless it will really be better for me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think that upgarde is well worth the money. Others would suggest you spend even more to get a stouter bike, and this is reasonable advice. You can also look into used, but if you are an unknowledgeable beginner that might be risky.

You can ride the 4300 for a while, and if you get into mountain biking, you will want to upgrade.

Be prepared to spend money on repairs.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
while i'm no expert... i went w/ a rigid fork due to my price point (a bit more then your's) it seems that lower end forks won't hold up to the heavier weight us supercyleds put on them....

I also chose a steel frame... and went with a 29er 1x8... in short... it fits me (i've got a few inches on you) and it's strong and simple and does what i want to do... i'm not hucking, no DH, just basic fun singletrack and fireroads along with road rides...

whatever you get... have fun :)

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
The 4300 will definitely be worth the extra $150. As mentioned above, if you truly get into mountain biking you will start having to replace parts but don't worry about this until you are actually riding more aggressively on trails...just be prepared for it. IMO, there is no price too great for health and fitness.

One last thing...just make sure they size you properly for the bike. A bike that is too small is a horrible experience for anyone at any weight. I'm right around your weight so I know what you probably will be going through. Good luck and welcome to the cycling world!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I spent the money and got the 4300. Its a nice ride, but I can tell its been way too long since I've been on one.

I do wonder about the bike size. I planned on taking it back to them for a second opinion. The only one they had was a 22.5, but they said it looked like it fit me well. When I stand over it I am basically sitting on it, and sitting on the seat I can only barely touch the ground with the tip of my shoe. However, I know very little about any of this.

The very little riding I did reminded me of how fun it is :) and I can't wait to get out and ride some more.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
Sounds about right. A mountain bike isn't a beach cruiser, it needs clearance under the bottom bracket so that you aren't hitting rocks all the time. Does sound like you are a little high on the stand-over clearance, but as long as you aren't bouncing your family jewels off the top tube you should be ok.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
A 22.5" frame and you're only about 6ft? And you said it was the only one they had in stock? As a general rule, that bike is a bit too big for you. I would almost bet both of my bikes that you should have gotten the 19.5" and that they sold you the larger frame to get rid of '08 inventory. :nono:

No major worries though...at least it isn't too small and I noticed the stem has a 25 degree rise on it so this will eleviate your stretch some. As long as you feel comfortable on it I wouldn't worry about anything since you're just starting out. But for future purchases, check into the bikes that range from 18 - 20 inches.

I hate to sound like a party pooper but I also hate to see anyone have bad experiences with their first bike that causes them to not ride anymore.:madman:

Hang in there. The riding will get easier. Practice "spinning" the pedals instead of "mashing" down on them. Hard pedaling will not get you in shape any quicker than pedaling smooth and steady.:thumbsup:

Last words...I promise...for now...

Get a helmet and check into some padded bike shorts. Your noggin and your "unmentionables" will thank you for it. :ciappa: :cornut:

www.aerotechdesigns.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FireBallKY said:
A 22.5" frame and you're only about 6ft? And you said it was the only one they had in stock? As a general rule, that bike is a bit too big for you. I would almost bet both of my bikes that you should have gotten the 19.5" and that they sold you the larger frame to get rid of '08 inventory. :nono:
Well I took it back in there last night to see if I could talk to someone else there who may know more about it than the guy who sold it to me. I talked to an older guy who seemed to be Senior Sales or manager even. He had me get on it and looked it over and said that the fit was fine. I guess upper body fit is just as important as how tall the bike is.

As far as the guy trying to get rid of the '08 inventory, apparently it's actually the new '09 model

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
That is a pretty sweet ride. Wasn't aware the '09's were out yet. So I guess I amost lost both my bikes. LOL

As I said earier, the higher rise stem may make the difference. Also, if you feel good on it, that's the most important thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I honestly think my worry about the bike's size is caused my my inexperience. When I ride on the road, it feels perfectly fine. When I rode on some unknown trails (which I now think were made by wild animals) last Saturday with a friend, I was having all sorts of problems.

My mistakes:
1. Riding an unknown, apparently advanced wild/overgrown trail.
2. Doing something stupid that caused me to flip over the handle bars (Lucky I didn't get hurt)
3. Assuming the problem was with the bike and not me! :nono: lol

Tomorrow I am going out again... this time on an easy trail meant for bikes.

Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.