Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to take my first bike trip to Colorado this September. Just got the ok for two and a half weeks of vacation. My plan, as of now, is to drive from Fayetteville, AR to Pine, Co, should take along 12 hours or so. The next day ride Buffalo Creek. Then its off to Gunnison and Crested Butte, probably spend a few days in the area, riding and exploring. Then its off to Fruita and Moab to finish off the week. Next stop is Durango, this is the spot I really want to check out, may take up future residence here. Questions I have are: What kind of weather can I expect the last week of Sept through the first week of Oct? What are the must rides in Gunnison and CB? How bad is the whole altitude sickness thing? Will it keep me off the bike? Thanks in advance for any info shared.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're riding CB in late September, chances are you will be hitting probably the best time of the year as far as the foliage. Depends on what kind of riding you like but I would recommend Trail 401, Deer Creek or Bear Creek/Flag Creek/Dead Mans Gulch loop. There are so many but those are my favorite. In Gunnison you won't go wrong with Hartman Rocks - look up the Rage in the Sage course. Unless you're going above 13000 feet I wouldn't worry about altitude sickness. You'll feel the altitude but it won't get you sick if you're just riding. Enjoy!!

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
You will be in great weather for most of your riding although CB and the higher mountains can get shut down if there's an early season snow storm. Fruita and Moab are ideal in the fall. Altitude should not be issue except for rides over 9,000 ft. Drink lots of water, don't do too much alcohol, bring Advil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, really looking forward to the trip. Good to hear about the altitude, I've heard some tales of sickness and they didn't sound good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.