Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which one would you get??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help deciding between these 4 bikes. Looking for the one that will last the longest and be most worth upgrading along the way. I know the hoo koo e koo and cobia have same/similar frames. And the piranha and tassajara have same frame. Components arent really that important. Which one would you pick if you could afford each one?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Uh oh, I can't wait to see some of the responses to this one.

I am a Fisher fan, and ride a Hi-Fi, but in considering a first bike is there some reason you are limiting yourself to Fisher's only? There are a lot of good bikes out there.

I would encourage you reconsider the importance of components. I would say that components are absolutely critical to your choice. The frame you get is likely to last for a long time and work quite well for you so long as it fits and is appropriate for your style of riding. But the components vary widely and can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt convey what I was saying properly, and should have inclueded more info, sorry! I am choosing GF because I know someone that works at my LBS and they carry GF so i get a nice discount. What I ment to say, looking at the specs, all of the bikes have similar components. So when I said components are not important, I misspoke, But, the ones on these bikes are fairly similar so they dont matter to me in choosing one of these 4 bikes. What is really important to me is finding the bike that will hold up the longest and be the most durable. I plan on upgrading components along the way.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is an old saying "buy the best you can afford". I also dissagree with the statement in your first post that "components aren't really that important". They are important. More costly components work better, usually last longer, and are also usually lighter.

Between the Hoo Koo, Tassajara, and Pirana, the difference in pricing between them is based on the fork and component set. The Hoo Koo not surprisingly has the best fork/component set.

Then it comes down to the $1130 retail Hoo Koo vs. the $1040 retail Cobia 29r. The Cobia has lesser components and cable brakes vs. hydraulic, so you'd be going down a step there, but it comes down to riding both and seeing if you like the feel of the 29r or not over the Hoo Koo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.