Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been reading on here looking to purchase my first mountain bike, I went to my local bike shop and was thinking about a 2008 Trek 3700 $299 or 2009 Trek 3700 $342 but after reading on here seems like most say this think will break down before I get it home from the bike shop.
So I am considering the craigslist idea

I plan on riding on trails in the area and I am sure on the street as welll I dont plan on anything crazy at least not for now.

I have a few questions

1) what size bike should I be looking for, im 6'2" 200lbs

2) what are the most common things that could be damaged or maybe broken on a bike that I should look for?

3) any other tips that would help someone new buy a used bike would be very appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
if you don't know what size bike you should be riding it is best to stick with the local bike shop. suck it up and fork out what ever it will cost to get into an entry-level bike that is suited for off-road riding. entry-level bike will not simply fall apart due to riding them off-road. you're just not going to be able to beat the living crap out of them as you would a bike built for more hard-core riding. This is mostly due to style of bike.

The main culprit on the lower-end bikes will be the fork and wheels. If you are not planning on hitting crazy stuff, get an entry level bike and figure out what your next bike will be as you develop your riding style, skills and preferences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you suggest for someone with a limited knowledge base...and a limited budget?

I'm sure that this is a common question, but in this economy...for a teacher, and a father of three, "bucking up" isn't easy by any stretch. It's hard as hell to justify spending $500 for a bike that fits you the best, when you spend ever waking second trying to make sure you have food on the table.

Not whining by any stretch, but there has to be a happy medium here somewhere.

I'm dying to get in the MTB game, but have nowhere near the money to get what I want...or should get...

Sorry to get in the mix of this...and not really asking a question (and knowing in the next few months that I'll end up spending way too much on a bike...like most of you all have done), but curious to see what others think...

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If you are comfortable looking a bike over for heavy wear, buying used is OK. however, you'll need to determine the right size bike. Try going into Ducks.sporting goods and see what bikes they have. Test a few sizes out and see what fits. You can then look online to see what the bikes geometry is and try to find a used bike with similar geo. Should look for a used Rockhoper if you can find one. Great bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what kind of heavy wear should I keep an eye for in looking at used bikes? the things that come to mind are sprockets getting sharp from wear, side to side play in the chain, spokes evenly tight, breakpads, straight wheels.
what else? how can I tell if the shifting mechanism has wear? what about the shock and forks? I think that's an important one but how do you tell if its worn without having experience? any help with this topic is appriciated as I'm probably gonna wait for a deal on craigslist for a used full suspension, since my budget is around $750

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
what kind of heavy wear should I keep an eye for in looking at used bikes? the things that come to mind are sprockets getting sharp from wear, side to side play in the chain, spokes evenly tight, breakpads, straight wheels.
what else? how can I tell if the shifting mechanism has wear? what about the shock and forks? I think that's an important one but how do you tell if its worn without having experience? any help with this topic is appriciated as I'm probably gonna wait for a deal on craigslist for a used full suspension, since my budget is around $750
Look for:

Bike - overall wear and tear. You can usually tell how much a bike has been ridden by its appearance
Chainrings - sharp teeth, missing teeth, excess wear
Chain - sloppy play (side to side)
Frame - dings, gouges, cracks
Wheels - hops, dings, etc.
Brake Pads - not important
Rotors - bent, grooves
Headset - loose, play
Hubs - side-to-side play
bottom bracket - side-to-side play
Suspension - smooth, responsive, no substantial damage to seals or stanchions. Clunking, knocking, sticking may be issues.
Shifters - loose play

Things like saddle scuffs, worn out tires/grips, brake pads, and other consumables are not important because they can be replaced easily and cheaply.

·
Registered
164 Posts
if this is your first time purchasing a bike then it's probably better to seek the advise of a bike shop in your area, at 6ft, 200lbs sounds you need at least a 19inch frame. it's better to spend a little extra now a buy a bike with a better component group than buy a bottom level bike and have things break after awhile. you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
As far as frame size it isn't just height but your body type.
I'm around 6'1" and am more comfortable on an 18" frame.
But I have short legs (30" inseam) and a long torso.
So a shorter frame with a longer stem is what works for me.
As far as Craigslist, I love it. Have gotten some awesome deals thanks to Craig.
However, go test ride some bikes to get a feel for what size frame is comfortable for you,
Then go hunting for that steal that's out there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah I guess everyone's built a little different. Craigslist is a great place to find a used bike if you know exactly what your looking for, my son got a 2009 Giant Iguana for $160, the bike is in excellent shape, looks hardly used at all.

·
Gotta pay to play
684 Posts
1) what size bike should I be looking for, im 6'2" 200lbs
Look here. Also, a Local Bike Shop will fit you.

2) what are the most common things that could be damaged or maybe broken on a bike that I should look for?
Broken front suspension. Check the seals to make sure they aren't worn and leaking.
Rear derailer is on straight. This can often get bent.
Check wear on the rear cassette and chain rings, if they look like shark fins they are worn. Also check the chain wear. Use a Park tools chain wear indicator.
Check the spokes to make sure there are no nicks, cuts, or gouges in them. Especially by the rear cassette. If a chain hopped the cassette and got stuck in the spokes it will leave evidence.
Check the brake pads/discs to make sure you've got ample pads left and everything is wearing straight.
Check all the shifting. Make sure it isn't skipping gears.

Confused by any of that? Then you don't have the experience to buy a used bike.

3) any other tips that would help someone new buy a used bike would be very appreciated
Don't buy a used bike if you are a newb. You'll get screwed. Just go to a local bike shop, have them fit you, have them put you in the best bike you can afford, fix it when it breaks, and when your economical situation turns around, buy a better bike with more experiance under your belt. Those two Treks you posted are fine entry level bikes for someone on a tight budget that is new to the sport. People on this forum are really into biking and we aren't going to be impressed by anything that doesn't have a $5,000 or more price tag.

Also- wear a helmet, gloves, and kneepads. Your family will thank you.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
Don't buy a used bike if you are a newb. You'll get screwed.
Those two Treks you posted are fine entry level bikes for someone on a tight budget that is new to the sport. People on this forum are really into biking and we aren't going to be impressed by anything that doesn't have a $5,000 or more price tag.
If you go with someone who knows bikes, it's totally fine. I've helped over 30 people buy bikes in recent years.

Also, I don't own any mountain bikes that cost over $1500. I get almost everything used. One of my favorite bikes is my $299 Swobo Heywood :).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in the same situation as the OP, looked forever for a good deal. I wanted a DJ for quite some time, most were either out of state or out of price range. Then, i got lucky searching Craigslist, found a Specialized P3 for a great price. Just keep looking online and you'll find a good deal. Find something to get you started and then upgrade when you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mongoose IBOC Series Pro

Hello all,

I have/had a Mongoose IBOC series Pro, I got the bike a couple years
ago (used). I unfortunately have to sell the bike for whatever I can get
due to a need to pay for medical treatments. I had gotten another
Mongoose in the 90's and it was ok, but more like a Huffy compared
to this bike. I've never had a better bike than this one.

The specs on this bike say's it's a competition bike and the (French)
guy I bought it from said it had actually run in a race in France.

Does anybody have an idea of what I should ask for this bike?

I Love the bike and will cry like a baby when it's gone, but I have to
sell stuff...unfortunately.

I do not even know where the model #'s located at.

Thanks all, Bunited2

htt p://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Bunited2/Ptdc0019.jpg

htt p://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Bunited2/Ptdc0018.jpg

htt p://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Bunited2/Ptdc0020.jpg

htt p://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Bunited2/PTDC0015.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.