Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have narrowed down my bike choice to 2. Looking at both the Trek X Caliber 5 and Specialized Hardrock Disc 29. Anybody have insight on either of these bikes? Price is close but not sure which one is actually better.

Sent from my IPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The bike companies are staring at each other over gunsights, fighting for the same small pool of customers. They'll be pretty much the same.

I have a Hardrock, though, so clearly it's better. But fair warning - if mountain biking (is that the kind of riding you want to do?) clicks for you, you'll chew through the stock components pretty fast.

Every time one of my friends bought a used bike for the price of a Hardrock, I kicked myself for buying new. Give it some thought.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are not any used bikes in my area on Craigslist. I've been looking there as well.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Actually, only one of the friends I'm thinking of got hers on CL. Another got his at a shop specializing in used bikes and the third got his at a pawnshop.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you are on a limited budget, how about looking for a NOS bike from 2012 or 2103?

In the UK there are a fair few online bike stores with varied stock of NOS bikes. Generally prices are 20-40% below the list price.

So you might get a £600 bike for £400

And bikes from 2012/2013 are still pretty much up to date.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a 2013 Trek Marlin 29er on Craigslist for $500. How does it compare to the bikes I listed?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Are you able to work on your own bike?
Compare list specs..and when used find out what mods or changes from stock have been made.

I ride a 13 Hardrock SPORT disk 29er. The Sport version has a lighter frame than the other Hardrocks. And it comes with Hydro brakes.
The drivetran is ok, it works but now that I'm gettign faster and more "brave" I am reaching my component's limits...

I bought low ($650) with a Build As I Go approch. Not the cheepest route nor the quickest but in the end I will have a custom built bike all just for me and me alone.
THe first 12mos I rode it stock..getting my "sea legs" for MTBing...now I just reworked the frontend with a real air fork and low rise 725mm bar..did all the work myself and can't wait for next year as I'm buy a new drivetrain..gonna be sick!!
RIDE!!!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I found a 2013 Trek Marlin 29er on Craigslist for $500. How does it compare to the bikes I listed?
Look it up.

I like bikepedia.com. It has a very extensive database going back many years with builds, MSRPs, etc.

I think a used bike dropped about 40% of its value relative to MSRP when it was wheeled out of the shop. Of course time and wear continue to chip away at that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts