Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thought I would register to get some help.
I'm in Canada and everything here is pretty expensive, I do a lot of south of the border shopping to save few bucks if I can.

I'm trying to buy a decent bike for just a weekend Trail riding, nothing too extreme, just some casual riding in the forest/trail on weekends or days off, just to go out for a drive and relax.

I'm ok with buying online in the US and having it shipped to a border for pickup, usually it serves me well to save a bit.

I'm 5'8, 160lbs, inseam on jeans is 31''.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, thought I would register to get some help.
I'm in Canada and everything here is pretty expensive, I do a lot of south of the border shopping to save few bucks if I can.

I'm trying to buy a decent bike for just a weekend Trail riding, nothing too extreme, just some casual riding in the forest/trail on weekends or days off, just to go out for a drive and relax.

I'm ok with buying online in the US and having it shipped to a border for pickup, usually it serves me well to save a bit.

I'm 5'8, 160lbs, inseam on jeans is 31''.

Thank you all.
Take a look at the Motobecane 429HT (Bikes Direct) or Diamondback Overdrive (Amazon).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are they your size? What's the budget?
Marin sizing chart says I'm 17'' frame, but I'll go to local dealer tomorrow and check if they have any in store.

I see they have these with 26'' tires, the 29er Bobcat is out of my budget.

If I stretch my budget a bit I can pretty much get one of these, prices are rough, but pretty close.

$450 2013 Marin Bolinas Ridge 17" Hardtail MTB 26" Bike Shimano 9S Mech Disc New | eBay

$460 2013 Marin BOLINAS RIDGE HYDRO 17" Hardtail MTB 26" Bike Shimano 9s Disc NEW

$530 2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 17" Hardtail MTB 26" Bike Shimano 9S Hydro Disc New | eBay

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
Those bikes with the Suntour 'X' series fork will need a fork upgrade to ride on anything more than a bikepath. 26" and cheap fork.
Don't bother with 26.
Get the BikeDirect Gravity Point 1 with the same cheap fork for $419 in a 29er.
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
Upgrade the fork through Nick at Suntour for $200 shipped later if you don't have the money now. The straight steerer model may have a steel steerer and weigh more, so check that with him.

But the Marin Bobcat 29 has a tapered fork and gets the aluminum steerer tube. 4.5lbs vs. 6.2lbs for the XCM Suntour coil fork and its other versions. Weight on the front is the worst for performance.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Well, does the op want 26, or 29? A 29er isn't an upgrade from 26, it's a different bike. If he wants a 26 there are a ton of affordable bikes out there. With a 29er, the price goes up and the components go down. A 650, even more. I would go with one of the 300-350 dollar bd bikes if money is a real issue, and upgrade the fork through suntour or get a tw epicon of Amazon /eBay. That should put you at 500, slightly more than you want to spend but it'll also give you a good starting point. And then you can save some money and do some upgrades if you want or need more bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why not bother with 26"? I'm on my third one and have no complaints.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stopped by a local dealer on my lunch break and had a quick look at the Marin bikes.
I'm 5'8, but for some reason 17'' seemed to big on me, my crotch was touching the bar when I was standing on my feet.
I had a quick look at the 15'' and it felt better, there was no touching, and I maybe an inch or two space when standing between the saddle and handlebars.

Both were 29ers but I had no time to test drive them, couldn't even if I wanted to because it was raining.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm 5'6" and have a 15" palisades trail. It feels a little small at time, but a 17 would be to big. You sure a 15 isn't to small? I have very little Stand over height, I think it's due to increase in suspension travel on the font end of bikes. Not sure if recommended stand over height is still as much as it used to be? I had a 15.5 Indian Fire trail before and it was perfect, but only had and 80mm fork on front. Man, wish I didn't sell that bike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size is your inseam? Just curious because I'm 5'8" with a 31" inseam, and I just purchased a 17" Marin Bobcat today (first bike). Went to the LBS earlier in the day and felt the 16" was a tad on the small side.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm a 30. The bike feels good, except on steep climbs feels hard to keep the front wheel down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My inseam is 31'', and my jewels were resting on the frame of the bike in 17'' size.
On the 15'' I had some space.
I wonder if it's due to Marin Bolinas I checked out having frame going upwards, and not straight flat.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts

You just saved yourself $1000 over the next two seasons.
Get a multi-tool. If you want pedals to go with runners the Origin8 on ebay are the best value.
Pedals Platform OR8 UL8 MTB Slimline 9 16 MTB BMX | eBay
Practice a little and you will pick up the low heels technique and stick through anything. And one on cornering. Practice on a grassy hill.

Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
Cornering with Fabien Barel - YouTube

1 - 16 of 16 Posts