Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've decided to build myself a bike for the very first time from scratch and the amount of research necessary is overwhelming me. So I was wondering what parts I could swap or the parts I' missing. So far I have:
Frame: Spank Puff
Fork: Marzzochi DJ1 tapered
Groupset: Shimano deore M615 10 speed double groupset
Wheels: Rhino lite 26 inch or whatever I had on my norco bigfoot.
Handlebar: DMR Braced CROMO WingBar
Grips: Token Double Lock On Grips

As for the seat and the stems, I was wondering if I could use whatever I I had on my 2006 Bigfoot.

Not sure what else I'm looking for. I built the bike through chain reation cycles. I'm going for a freeride 4x type thing so if you have any suggestions on what components I should be looking for or if I should just build it through another site it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
you can't use tapered fork on a straight headtube, you also need a headset
This one will fit or this
you also need:
-30.9mm dia setpost
-seatclamp(not sure what size)
-spacers for your steerer tube (may or may not need this depending how far you want to cut your steer tube)
-pedals
-some tools (cassette, bottom bracket hollow tech 2, torx, hex, screw driver)

assuming it is the full groupset withhydro brakes, you don't need to worry about brake mount,rotors, or shifter cables, they come with it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch guys. Really helpful. What should I know as far as compatibility for derailleurs, cranks and cassettes? Also handlebar compatibility with stem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you get the full Deore groupset, everything will fit, derailleur, cranks, cassettes...etc
If your stem has 31.8 clamp dia. then you need a 31.8 dia handlebar
And remember you need 1-1/8" fork not tapered(1-1/8"-1-1/5")

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think I have everything now.

Frame: Spank Puff
Fork: Manitou circus expert straight
Headset: FSA Orbit DL Reducer Headset
Crankset : Shimano FC-CX50
Chain: Sram PC-971 Chain with Powerlink Gold 2013
Cassette: 13 SRAM PG 970 9-SPEED
Derailleur: 13 SRAM Rear X5 9-speed SIL LNG CAGE
Shifter: 13 SRAM X.9 TRIGGER SHIFTER 9 SPEED REAR
Brakes: AVID BB7 MECH DISC BRAKE GREY FNT/RER 203mm
Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers 2013
Seat Post: Sette Avanti Alloy Seatpost 300mm Black 30.9
Clamp: SETTE ST-60 SEATPOST CLAMP QR BLACK 31.8
Seat: Sette Strike DH Saddle
Stem: 13 Truvativ Stem Hussefelt 1 1/8" 0D 31.8 BLK 40mm
Bars: Answer ProTAPER 780 DH G2 Bar 1" RISE BLK-GLD
Grips: PRO FRS GRIPS W/LOCKRINGS 145mm WIDE WHT W/GLD

Wheels plus tires and pedals I already have and am pretty sure the bottom bracket will work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I'm digging everything except the cyclocross crankset...wondering what made you choose that one?

I don't see that you'll have any use 2 chainrings without a front derailleur, and I'm imagining cyclocross parts aren't exactly designed with jumping and freeriding in mind.

Personally, I'd consider BMX style cranks or something along the lines of these single-ring set-ups.

Shimano Zee Chainset 10sp M640 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Funn Crossfire Chainset Single | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you are just running a single ring up front, you can go to a shorter cage rear derailleur to tighten the drivetrain up a bit too.

Also, you might want something a little burlier than the roadie seatpost - it doesn't take too many botched landings to snap those little bolts. A seatpost through the abdomen could be uncomfortable. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops didn't even realize that was a cyclocross derailleur and the seat post was just on sale. Didn't realize it was flimsy. I'm looking for a 4x type setup. Haven't biked in 6 or 7 years so I don't know whats good or not these days haha. Thanks a lot for your help though, I'll switch those up right away.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I dunno that it's flimsy per se, but I figure it can't hurt to go with something intended more for what you want do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts