Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I live in Perth Western Australia & being 6'6" & 95kg/210ish lbs I'm looking for a big bike in the Aus$3500 - 5000 range. Problem is that being the most geographically isolated city in the world is not conducive to having 20-21"/ XL bikes in store to demo:mad: !!! And their are no on-dirt demo days that I am aware of as you would get in the States & Canada.

I have done the talking to the shop guys, however I would like to know what non-sales people think about my not-so short list that I have created using the local buyers' guide & various web-based sources. If anyone has ridden a selection it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Iron Horse MkIII Sport or Comp
Giant Reign 0, 1 or Trance X1
GT Force 1.0
Norco Fluid LT 2
Trek Remedy 7
Specialized Enduro SL Comp

I mainly ride with XC folks however like to hit the jumps, drop-offs & gnarlier stuff off the to side whenever possible. I also like to get to the bottom the fastest....

Cheers :thumbsup:

Lanksman

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Specialized Enduro Comp and I couldn't be happier. I upgraded from an Epic (XC bike) for exactly the reasons you are discussing: I mainly ride XC, but I "like to hit the jumps, drop-offs & gnarlier stuff off the to side whenever possible. I also like to get to the bottom the fastest." This bike truly does it all. It climbs like a dream, but feels like a pillow on the big stuff. The suspension takes some playing with/break in before you get it just right, but once you do, it rips. I am 6'0" 185lb, and I ride an XL. However the XL is meant for someone ranging from 6'2"+, and you could EASILY fit on it. I have the seat all the way down on mine. The reason I went oversized was for the reach (slightly longer wheelbase), though I probably should have gone with a Large. Furthermore the bike is light (just over 30lb). The Iron Horse, Giant, and GT are a bit heavier (from what I know).

I'm biased, but the Enduro really is the best "DO ALL" All-Mountain bike out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also recently bought an Enduro SL Comp. I'm 6'2", 220 lb. I bought a large frame and it fits me perfectly so I suspect the XL would do you nicely. I've been very impressed with the bike. My last bike was XC and I was riding too hard for it so needed a more AM setup and the Enduro delivers. I climb hills well with it, then find whatever light DH routes I can find off the main track when descending. It's light enough to climb but strong enough to handle rough terrain and some drops and jumps. It's a great all-around build.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 6'5" @ 200 lbs and just recently got an XL 2008 GT Force 3.0. The trails I ride are more XC than AM. I had been riding an old Specialized S-Works M2 hardtail, so the increased comfort of full suspension has been greatly appreciated. Using my non-precise bathroom scale I'm weighing it at ~32 lbs. so the Force 1.0 should be lighter. Though it does climb heavier than my hardtail, it doesn't bob near as much as I had expected. Haven't ridden any of the other bikes on your list, but I'm happy with my GT.

Steve

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I'm about 6'3" and was looking at getting a GT Sanction. The large would have been the right size for me. The GT's seem to run really big. Usually I would ride an XL. I have a specialized and it is an XL and fits perfect. My BMC and Ibex are also XL.
But every GT i have tried I am looking at the L.
Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am 6'6" and weigh 115kg and I ride an 07 Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0 in a large (19" frame) frame. I know it isn't on your list but it might be one to look out for. I thought it would be too small for my height but it fits perfectly and it more comfortable than my old 03 Avanti Montari which was a 20" frame.

I can vouch for the Giant Reign as my friend bought one at the same time as I bought the Jamis. The Reign is awesome for climbing but can handle the drops and jumps just as well. He has a Medium frame, but he is a fair bit shorter than me. An XL would be perfect for your height.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers

Thanks mate,

always good to hear options as I just had one removed today on supply terms. Norco for example are currently not importing any XL dual sus bikes into Australia.

Will check it out further...happy trails!!!

Lanks :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
My brother, who is the same height but slightly lower weight, just bought an 08 GT Force 3 in an XL for under $2k and it seems about right for sizing, although I would shorten up the stem slightly (it's about 100mm). The force 2 or 1 might be a better option as they come with some better standard equipment over the 3 (read basic Marz forks).

·
Registered
79 Posts
sorry i didn't see that you had listed the Force 1 as an option otherwise i would have mentioned it earlier.

It has a very nice frame and geoemtry, but the spec level for the 3 is fairly average. The force 1 looks pretty nice and would be a good fit for your size. what are they asking for them?

·
Underweight Rider
439 Posts
lanksman, trust me Perth isnt the 'the most geographically isolated city in the world' considering the aussies can still have a nice selection of Giant and other bikes. few countries in South East Asia(hope you know where THAT is) doesnt even have proper distributors.
They dont have XL size frames in the shop could either be :
1) sell like hot cakes supply exceed demand OR
2) lack of interest hence your lbs wouldnt need extra inventory on slow moving items.
Maybe you could try searching Farkin.net since its pretty much down-undah based?? Hope that helps.

P/S remember...Google is your friend.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
lanksman said:
Iron Horse MkIII Sport or Comp
Giant Reign 0, 1 or Trance X1
GT Force 1.0
Norco Fluid LT 2
Trek Remedy 7
Specialized Enduro SL Comp
I ridden the MKiii, Force, and Remedy.

Of those I've ridden the Remedy feels like the biggest hit bike, very stiff and stable handling, but it pedals and rides "heavier" in feel than the other two. Downhill braking and handling is plush and very stable. It's very easy to ride downhill but feels heavy compared to more efficient pedaling suspension designs now when climbing.

The MKiii travel is only 5 inch and handling is tighter, more "XC" for climbing and tighter trails, so I'm not so sure it qualifies on the list with the others in your list. Maybe look at the Iron Horse 6Point as an equally great pedaling alternative on your list. And braking is at least as great as horst link and other active braking designs.

The Force I rode was carbon fiber, very light, and very stiff in flex, and even with it's 6 inch travel it pedals and climbs very well and could keep up well with an XC ride and is very plush and balanced for rough trail, pretty good size jumps, and high speed downhills.

All other bikes on your list appear in specs to qualify for solid AM use. I think only the Force or MKiii would also be quick enough in ability to lead the XC group rides you mention.

At your 6'6 height, a solid 29'er would work great for XC and AM uses. Both the Pivot 429 and '09 Turner Sultan use the exceptionally efficient and plush DWL suspension. I've ridden both, and the 429 is a more XC and shorter travel in feel but larger wheels are superior for rough AM trails and Pivot makes very solid bikes that can withstand trail side jumps. The Sultan feels very plush and has slow more stable higher speed and steep downhill handling.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.